To Drill or Not to Drill

Odyssey20011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there are countless threads with this same question. But to make a long story short, I recently purchased a new Aqueon 6 ft 125 gallon tank. I have the stand built and am ready to start the plumbing and I am trying to figure out of the tank is made with tempered glass. There arent any stickers indicating whether or not it is tempered and after calling Aqueon directly, they cannot confirm. I have tried the trick of looking through my polarized Oakley sunglasses however, I cannot confirm any findings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AS my current tank has a Hang on the back overflow which is pretty noisy.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always thought the bottom glass on those tanks was tempered, but the side panels weren't. I'm sure someone knows for sure how to figure it out - but that would make me nervous regardless.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there are countless threads with this same question. But to make a long story short, I recently purchased a new Aqueon 6 ft 125 gallon tank. I have the stand built and am ready to start the plumbing and I am trying to figure out of the tank is made with tempered glass. There arent any stickers indicating whether or not it is tempered and after calling Aqueon directly, they cannot confirm. I have tried the trick of looking through my polarized Oakley sunglasses however, I cannot confirm any findings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AS my current tank has a Hang on the back overflow which is pretty noisy.
If you don't drill you'll be stuck with hang on back Plumbing which is a nightmare so either drill or sell the tank just my opinion you'll know right away whether it's tempered or not once you start drilling LOL

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the bottom glass on those tanks was tempered, but the side panels weren't. I'm sure someone knows for sure how to figure it out - but that would make me nervous regardless.
If I remember correctly there was another thread where someone contacted Aqueon and they confirmed that the bottom is tempered and the sides usually aren't, but they won't guarantee they didn't use tempered glass on the sides.

OP if you aren't able to drill then I would get a tank that is either drilled or can be drilled. I would never want to rely on hob equipment for a tank that size. The only way I know how to tell is the polarized sunglasses test.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back