OP
OP
drewtx1

drewtx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a DIY ghost overflow I just made for a frag tank.
The outside part is glass, put together with aquarium silicone, the inside is acrylic.
2 holes drilled between, and no bulkheads. Zero chance of this setup leaking.

C41AE90F-7AAC-473B-8B93-CF3A0A7074C6.jpeg
That’s nice, I’m just not too much into DIY or modding when it comes to my tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the glass is not tempered, and you are willing to take the tank down, a drilled overflow is superior to a HOB in almost every way. I cannot recall the last time I ran a HOB overflow - 15 year ago at least. I think most of the commercial ghost-style overflows work just fine. I shade the inner skim box on mine which reduces algae growth and helps prevent the teeth from getting occluded.

OP
OP
drewtx1

drewtx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore yes I plan on taking it down, going to add more rock and sand bed. Plus to get a sump under it I’ll have to move it. I know when I bought it the sticker on it says bottom tempered only, there web site says the same. But I have some polarized shades at home and will check to make sure.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore yes I plan on taking it down, going to add more rock and sand bed. Plus to get a sump under it I’ll have to move it. I know when I bought it the sticker on it says bottom tempered only, there web site says the same. But I have some polarized shades at home and will check to make sure.
If you're nervous about drilling, you can always buy a cheap $10-$20 tank from Petco to do a practice run before you attempt it with the actual tank.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too hard just don't press down let the bit do the work. It's kinda boring no pun intended LoL

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't 100% sure about the back glass so I didn't drill. Been using a Eshopps PF800 on my 75g for over 3 years now without an issue. HOB get a bad rap but if set up correctly there should never be a problem. I never had a flood and the siphon starts right back up again if the power goes out. The only thing is they are noisy at first but it's an easy fix with a diy Stockman Standpipe, the U-tube will need to be cleaned periodically, and not as aesthetically pleasing as drilled tank that doesn't have tubes hanging off the back.
XwYkc3vl.jpg

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill, its not even a close call.

I can barely turn a screwdriver, lol. If I can do it anyone can, just do some research. Youtube is you friend

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very happy once I got rid of the HOB overflow. Worth the hassle .

OP
OP
drewtx1

drewtx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're nervous about drilling, you can always buy a cheap $10-$20 tank from Petco to do a practice run before you attempt it with the actual tank.
Yea I was thinking that also, or maybe just get some pieces of glass and practice

OP
OP
drewtx1

drewtx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't 100% sure about the back glass so I didn't drill. Been using a Eshopps PF800 on my 75g for over 3 years now without an issue. HOB get a bad rap but if set up correctly there should never be a problem. I never had a flood and the siphon starts right back up again if the power goes out. The only thing is they are noisy at first but it's an easy fix with a diy Stockman Standpipe, the U-tube will need to be cleaned periodically, and not as aesthetically pleasing as drilled tank that doesn't have tubes hanging off the back.
XwYkc3vl.jpg
That’s a nice looking tank.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated that you plan on moving the tank if that's the case I would drill since the tank will be empty. If I needed to move or empty my tank for any reason I would definitely drill.

Thank you, here 's a better pic.
2zlyVg8l.jpg

OP
OP
drewtx1

drewtx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just some thought, Being it’s a 75gallon and 8mm glass which I believe in 3/8”. Drilling the holes won’t take away from the integrity of the glass? Like the force from when the tank is full. I’m not second guessing myself about drilling and I know it’s been done probably a million times, just for my own sense of security is why I’m asking. And I really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment on this although I know it’s been talked about on most every forum online.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling is definitely clean and professional in appearance however HOB have many benefits such as..

* typically much cheaper than overflows that require drilling
* simple easy installation in a matter of minutes
* no chance of breaking your tank
* extra layer of mechanical filtration
* you can perfectly adjust your water level in tank
* simple easy cleaning.. in a matter of minutes you can completely remove these from your tank.

As long as some basic maintenance is preformed and you purchase the right HOB (avoid ones that require pump)these are basically bulletproof.. personally I like the extra stages of pre-filtration, water level adjustment and absolutely love being able to pull the whole unit and take outside to clean with my garden hose.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an HOB but when ever I get a bigger tank I will drill but for the last year it has been running with no issues, the siphon has never broke and to ensure there is no flooding should something go bad I have a Vario's DC pump which has a float switch that I have set to shut off if my sump drops more than about a half inch.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back