To Fuge or not to Fuge- Hang-on Refugiums

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheap way to hob refugium is the 400 or maybe it's 450 bio wheel frash water filters. They have a huge compartment that is blacked out remove everything add algae and small fresh water plant light wala refugium. Cheap

Last edited:

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern with adding one to my 25 lagoon would be actually hanging it - I don’t feel like the tank is designed for that kind of weight from that direction.

Lately I’ve been considering building a support for one.
You'll be fine. There is a lot of vertical strength on glass panel as long as you have proper support underneath. I ran my small cpr fuge on a Mr aqua 25 gallon cube for over a year.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great question @vetteguy53081! I am a fan of refugiums even though I am not running one right now. However, I personally have not had the best of luck with HOB refugiums. I would encourage anyone to put together a step-by-step "here is how I set up my refugium" how-to thread, article, or video. Of course, I would encourage anyone to put together a step-by-step how-to thread or article on just about any reefing topic! :)

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have photos of this set up?
I have a Fluval Flex 32 Gallon AIO. I mounted the refugium on the back. I did have to modify the inlet in order to clear the AIO, as all my chambers are in use. If you do elect to go with a HOB refugium, measure carefully for fit before you buy.
11B08F1C-2421-4BF0-9878-A919341A3EB2.jpeg
1A45C2EA-C3B5-416F-89C8-5AB03902472B.jpeg

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fennix with the light they provide and it works great.. Have to clean the small tubes out about every 6 months thaough as they clog with algae. It's about 1 gallon and is filled with culerpa which grows very well. Have never gotten Chaeto to grow in any tank though I think critters are eating it. It has a nice assortment of pods growing also. Just as a precaution I put activated charcoal in the filter when ever I manipulate the culerpa,...just paranoid I guess.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back