To Gyre Or Not To Gyre?

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the extra hardware for my Ice Cap 3K so it will actually do what the name implies. For those of you who use a gyre pump do they make a nice flow pattern or what you expected it to do? Thanks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump.

Anyone with recommendations for the #IceCap 3k gyre?

Mrs. Herbert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 3k on my 75 gallon tank, running from 10% to 30%. They do make some noise and mine like to get micro bubbles in the pumps. There are so many flow patterns and I dare not turn mone up to 100%, 50% caused a huge sand storm!

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 3k on my 75 gallon tank, running from 10% to 30%. They do make some noise and mine like to get micro bubbles in the pumps. There are so many flow patterns and I dare not turn mone up to 100%, 50% caused a huge sand storm!
Yes I have one in my 75 also and I know all about the sand storms, I now have hills and valleys in my tank but it kind of looks neat so I left them for now. I guess my ? is don't I need to order different parts in order to have a true "gyre" effect? I run mine on random pulse right now. Thanks

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have one in my 75 also and I know all about the sand storms, I now have hills and valleys in my tank but it kind of looks neat so I left them for now. I guess my ? is don't I need to order different parts in order to have a true "gyre" effect? I run mine on random pulse right now. Thanks

Your pulse mode is what I'd be running.

True gyre tanks became popular around 2005/2006. It wasnt just a certain type of pump, gyre pumps as we know of them today, didnt exist yet, we used educators and big prop modded maxijets (sureflow maxi mods) to create the gyre water flow effect. p

The tank usually had a "platform reef" suspended off the bottom and strategic placed pumps would basically create a spinning doughnut of water around the platform/rock structure.

Example:

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the extra hardware for my Ice Cap 3K so it will actually do what the name implies. For those of you who use a gyre pump do they make a nice flow pattern or what you expected it to do? Thanks.

Reefnman - I am not sure what you are asking. I have the Icecaps (digital controller) and they do a great gyres out of the box. I have 2 that I have programmed to push against each other. I move the 'meeting' point across the tank throughout the day. When I add something to the tank you can visually see the gyres. I have found that if I clean them as soon as I hear that little whine start and move them about 1 in below the surface it is virtually silent. Coralvue has a couple videos on them. Link . My tank is 4 feet and I run them between 20-60%.

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefnman - I am not sure what you are asking. I have the Icecaps (digital controller) and they do a great gyres out of the box. I have 2 that I have programmed to push against each other. I move the 'meeting' point across the tank throughout the day. When I add something to the tank you can visually see the gyres. I have found that if I clean them as soon as I hear that little whine start and move them about 1 in below the surface it is virtually silent. Coralvue has a couple videos on them. Link . My tank is 4 feet and I run them between 20-60%.
I think I was confused, if I want to run alternating gyre then I would need to purchase another prop in order to do so but from what I'm seeing maybe the pulsing mode is where I should run it. Thanks

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pulse mode is what I'd be running.

True gyre tanks became popular around 2005/2006. It wasnt just a certain type of pump, gyre pumps as we know of them today, didnt exist yet, we used educators and big prop modded maxijets (sureflow maxi mods) to create the gyre water flow effect. p

The tank usually had a "platform reef" suspended off the bottom and strategic placed pumps would basically create a spinning doughnut of water around the platform/rock structure.

Example:

Thanks, good info I'll just stay at pulsing that sounds to be the ticket.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was confused, if I want to run alternating gyre then I would need to purchase another prop in order to do so but from what I'm seeing maybe the pulsing mode is where I should run it. Thanks
I was wondering the same thing. Should I by the "B" propeller kit and run forward and reverse mode. I wish it was more clear on the product description when I bought it.

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing. Should I by the "B" propeller kit and run forward and reverse mode. I wish it was more clear on the product description when I bought it.
Agreed! Coralvue has a video on you tube that explains it a little clearer, I found it this morning.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Coralvue has a video on you tube that explains it a little clearer, I found it this morning.
I saw the same video yesterday when I was trying to learn how to set up programming. I cant wait for RedSea's wave maker controlled by the Reefbeat app.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is a little old but thought I'd try here before starting a new one. Couple of questions:

What is this "B Propeller Kit" you speak of? I purchased the Ice Cap Gyre 3000 a few years ago and am dusting it off to put it in my seahorse tank. I don't remember anything about an optional propeller kit?

I'm struggling with where to place it in the 72 gallon bowfront for the ponies (tank is still cycling, so now is the time to play with flow). Horses need some areas of high flow, moderate flow, and low flow. My three choices are:
Right rear corner, centered on rear of tank, tucked into the corner where the overflow meets the tank (overflow is located about one third of the way from the left corner of tank).

Then, of course, I have to figure out which way to direct the top half, the bottom half (will be mounting it vertically) and then play with the various flow patterns. Geez, the controller is complicated - too many options!

Thoughts?
Sue

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want similar flow in both directions you need separate pumps. The other direction flow on gyres isn't as robust and IIRC comes out from the device at a different angle than regular flow.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want similar flow in both directions you need separate pumps. The other direction flow on gyres isn't as robust and IIRC comes out from the device at a different angle than regular flow.

A little confused: you're suggesting that I have both the top half and the bottom half pointing in the same direction?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This video from CoralVue may help:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little confused: you're suggesting that I have both the top half and the bottom half pointing in the same direction?
That is what I do. IME, if you do the alternating thing, you are really only using half of the pump at a time. That may work in your application.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And don't worry about the complication of the different modes. Set the pump up and play with them. Then try the pump in different spots. I can't really give you a recommendation because the aquascapes of all tanks are different, resulting in different flow patterns and dead spots, so what works in one tank may not work in another.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for me.

20191130_170008.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back