To heat, or not to heat...

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi All! Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help you can provide...

So I have a newly setup 90g (Red Sea 350) that is located in Florida... I never thought I would need a heater, but with the colder nights recently, the tank fluctuates from 72 to 74... both seem a little low from what I've been reading.

So I have a few questions:

1) How important is it to get the tank temperature up to the recommended 78ish?

2) If I do add a heater(s?) / Where in the sump is the best location?

3) From BRS stats, a 300w seems correctly sized for my 90g? Since it's Florida, and I really only need a couple of degrees, should I go lower wattage?

Thanks so much!

1708617323069.png

1708617353230.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater is important, nightly swings down to 72 will not make your tank inhabitants happy. 78-80 degrees stable is ideal. 300 watts should be fine. I have a reefer 350 and have my heaters installed directly under the drain for maximum flow, and I have the probe in the overflow box up top.

I can heartily recommend both of these heaters, I use them on my 2 systems with success:

Helio. The controller is awesome and it has alarms that will alert you of hi/low temp, and if the element is running dry: https://amzn.to/3OOJB0H

Finnex titanium. More affordable than the helio system, but less sophisticated controller:

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Heater is important, nightly swings down to 72 will not make your tank inhabitants happy. 78-80 degrees stable is ideal. 300 watts should be fine. I have a reefer 350 and have my heaters installed directly under the drain for maximum flow, and I have the probe in the overflow box up top.

I can heartily recommend both of these heaters, I use them on my 2 systems with success:

Helio. The controller is awesome and it has alarms that will alert you of hi/low temp, and if the element is running dry: https://amzn.to/3OOJB0H

Finnex titanium. More affordable than the helio system, but less sophisticated controller:

Thank you so much for the info and the recommendations! I'll be checking those out and ordering something ASAP! :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you for your input, since I'm new to this, what's the reasons for two smaller heaters?
redundancy. so you can have the 2nd a degree or two colder/warmer as a fail safe in case your main heater gets stuck on/off. or to help keep the temperature stable if you're using a controller like the inkbird, finnex, or IM.

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
redundancy. so you can have the 2nd a degree or two colder/warmer as a fail safe in case your main heater gets stuck on/off. or to help keep the temperature stable if you're using a controller like the inkbird, finnex, or IM.

Thank you! I'm planning to use my Apex as the failsafe but also an Inkbird (or built-in) as primary. I've read too many stories of tanks cooking because of a faulty thermostat.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you! I'm planning to use my Apex as the failsafe but also an Inkbird (or built-in) as primary. I've read too many stories of tanks cooking because of a faulty thermostat.
definitely! i’ve read some posts of people doing: eheim heaters(or heaters with built in thermostat) -> heater controller(inkbird/IM/finnex/etc) -> apex(or other monitors) as a triple failsafe!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed...all good stuff here.

I live in Florida on the Space Coast....since December it has been rainy and cold..(which sucks btw)

But in colder weather, we are not running AC or Heater, as we just open up windows and what not. It's great during the day, but at night it gets to 68° in our house, fine for us snuggled under the blankets, but not fine for Aquariums. We have a 125 fresh, 40GB and 13.5 Evo Saltwater and a 5 gallon Planted tank....and Heating is a MUST HAVE!

We only run the heat when it gets really cold inside, but even then, it's only to take the chill out of the house, and we turn it off...even then the heat is at 72°.

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

I ordered the Finnex, should be here tomorrow. I figure with my redundant thermo-system that, I should be OK. Thanks so much for the direction!

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Indeed...all good stuff here.

I live in Florida on the Space Coast....since December it has been rainy and cold..(which sucks btw)

But in colder weather, we are not running AC or Heater, as we just open up windows and what not. It's great during the day, but at night it gets to 68° in our house, fine for us snuggled under the blankets, but not fine for Aquariums. We have a 125 fresh, 40GB and 13.5 Evo Saltwater and a 5 gallon Planted tank....and Heating is a MUST HAVE!

We only run the heat when it gets really cold inside, but even then, it's only to take the chill out of the house, and we turn it off...even then the heat is at 72°.

Right!? I've had to turn on the heat just a few times this season, but I think you're right, the fish don't have blankets! ;)

I've been skewed by my BioCube showing a consistently higher temp, but the Reefer is definitely colder.

I'll install my Finnex tomorrow and route it through my Apex.

Thanks so much!

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right!? I've had to turn on the heat just a few times this season, but I think you're right, the fish don't have blankets! ;)

I've been skewed by my BioCube showing a consistently higher temp, but the Reefer is definitely colder.

I'll install my Finnex tomorrow and route it through my Apex.

Thanks so much!
i thought the finnex doesnt have a thermostat, so if you only route it only to your apex you dont have redundancy. thats why i like eheims. if your controller sticks the heaters thermostat will turn them off. if the heater sticks the controller will turn them off.

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
They have a thermostat and an external probe.

So, coupled with the Apex, I should be redundant. I will likely add an Inkbird if I get a second heater.

But again, in FL, especially with it warming, it's not super crucial. Even last night only hit 73 in the tank.

1708744106549.png

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They have a thermostat and an external probe.

So, coupled with the Apex, I should be redundant. I will likely add an Inkbird if I get a second heater.

But again, in FL, especially with it warming, it's not super crucial. Even last night only hit 73 in the tank.

1708744106549.png
then you will be ok. i thought they all needed a controller.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use a heater. Im in colorado. I use fans in the summer but not the winter. I keep my house at 72 all year. At night tank sits between 76 and 78 always, same in the day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back