To Much Ammonia during cycle start. Help/advice

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short kids lol. I had everything planned out perfectly for my new tank. I decided I would cycle my rock in a 20 gallon brute trash can while I waited for my tank to arrive. I miss my saltwater I added bio Spira and this is where things took a turn. My plan was a few drops of Dr. Times ammonia chloride to start the cycle like I have done in the past. Well I made the mistake of letting my son help me put the ammonia in and he squeezed a little to hard and long story short my ammonia levels aren’t at the 2.0 that I wanted and is currently off the charts. I am trying to decide which is the next best step to salvage the beginning of my cycle or if I will be fine and a didn’t stall my bacteria. 1. So here are some options I am thinking and want peoples opinions. I remove some water and add a gallon of new saltwater in.
2. I don’t remove any saltwater and just add gallon or 2 more of new saltwater to dilute the ammonia a little and then add another bottle of bio spira.
3. Do nothing and overtime it will fix it self

just looking for opinions on this.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you mean by too much is unknown
Since you did not add bacteria then just remove some salt water and add in fresh salt water.
While too much ammonia should not prevent the cycle, it will slow it down a lot.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you mean by too much is unknown
Since you did not add bacteria then just remove some salt water and add in fresh salt water.
While too much ammonia should not prevent the cycle, it will slow it down a lot.
I added Bio Spira bacteria to it. I have read places where to much ammonia in beginning can basically make the bacteria worthless.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it can. Ammonia can kill in high concentrations. Once again we dont know what your level is at

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back