To reef or not to reef?

LogJam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all -

I'm just getting started with this hobby. Don't even have a tank - but have been shopping for one. Have been doing a lot of reading - and am learning a lot even though I still don't know much.

Trying to decide - do I go with a reef tank? Or just go with a Fish/live rock tank?

I like the idea of corals (because they are so cool looking) - but know there is some extra maintenance steps - and light requirements - and maybe even some other stuff needed?

Anyone offer any advice/experience that might help me choose?

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and Rock would be much easier and less expensive IMHO. I guess it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend and your taste in corals(basic or expensive taste). Also depending on what type of fish you like or want to keep it may require a larger tank.

Tank102a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest starting with some fish ( hopefully ) reefsafe then when your ready (believe me you will be ready ) lol just upgrade the lighting flow and filtration. Jumping into coral too fast will cost a lot of money and might discourage someone if things go south and the tank crashes

just my $ .02

OP
OP
L

LogJam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys - seems like sound advice -

is the coral more expensive because the coral itself is more expensive? or because you need higher value lights? or because you need other hardware of some kind?

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping coral is more expensive because...
  • Corals themselves can be very expensive, and you always want one more.
  • They require superior lighting, water flow and water quality. [BTW, I would suggest that if you think you will get into corals in the future, go ahead and get lighting that will support them...no sense investing in two sets of lights. Some high output T-5 flourescent fixtures would be ideal.]
  • Stoney corals require constant adding and monitoring of calcium and alkalinity.
Personally, I would advise you to go ahead and start a reef tank, but go very slowly. Continue to read and educate yourself. Plan on this first tank winding up as a soft coral tank. Get your tank set up, let it cycle well, add a clean up crew (snails, etc) and eventually a couple of reef safe fish...and then in a couple of months add a couple of easy-to-keep soft corals. You'll have lots of choices here and you can eventually have a beautiful set up for much less money than a full blown hard coral reef tank. Once you have success with this, you can graduate to a stoney coral tank if money permits.
FWIW,
Mariner

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"To Reef or Not to Reef," there isn't even a question. Reef!!!

spsfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say reef.... I think that Mariner's advice is sound, all the folks I know have regreted going FOWLR or just a regular fish tank within months of having setup said tank... they genereally always go reef in the end. But ifyou want to do that, again go slow and make a goal of a soft coral tank within a year or so. On a personal note, I have beer luck keeping reef tanks than I dofish only.... if I don't have a reef tank to put fish in, the fish just don
t fair well... kinda crazy but at is the way it works for me.

Hope all goes well for you, and welcome to the hobby and to R2R.

CHALICEKEEPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with the reef it is the best nothing compares :) just when you think you have it all something else comes along that it great!!!

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on tank size. I started with a 2.5 gallon pico, and quickly upgraded to 10 gallons. I've got PCs[power compacts] on the tank, and I've got zoas and palys doing really well in there. It really depends on size and what, if any, fish you have to have. A 10 gallon reef will probably cost as much as a 30[? guessing here!] gallon FOWLR. I was thinking of going FOWLR a few years ago, but the corals add such a huge extra dimension. I think a lot of the FOWLR look pretty FW, also.
My 2cents :p

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do both. Some fish, some corals. Start with the soft corals (xenias, recordias, zoas). They look nice and are easy to maintain.

On the fishes, make sure you do your research on them. Some don't get along with others and some have specific diets.

Good Luck and Welcome to R2R!

IamRit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing will be so much more fun. Try out a couple of zoa. Words of caution. You'll probably will not going to stop.
A couple pieces of corals was all it took for me to go full throttle.

MikeW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust Rit his corals are great.Thats one man that his corals will make you start at your pc all day

MikeW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rit we have not met before but i see ur post on arc, cant reply to them due to my ban. But if anyone sees ur corals no doubt they will start a reef..u need to pm me ur emsil so i can pick up a few things from ya, then i will explane in a pm who i am

IamRit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... This is new to me about the ban thing. Didn't hear anything about that. you got pm'ed.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Reef and start slow and easy with softies. Like others have stated make sure you pick reef safe fish so you can add whatever coral and inverts you like in the future. Nothing like a full blown reef with fish, softies, lps, sps, clams and critters!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back