To reef or not to reef?

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to think about is the tank size. How much space do you have where you think you want the tank? Under 4 feet might get you 20, 30 or 40 gallon tank (standard sizes). If you have enough space for a tank that is 4 feet long, you could go 55, 75 or maybe a 90 gallon. A 55 is 4 feet long by about 12 inches wide. A 75 is about 4 ft long by 20 inches wide (approx). The 55 gal isn't very wide. I started with a 75 (only because I already had it) and am glad I did. If I had started reefin in a 55, I think I would have gone to a larger tank soon after seting up.

To get an idea on tank sixes and weights (really important too), look here:
http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

Go to some stores or friends houses and look at the different size tanks. Look around for a used tank before you jump out there and get a brand new tank, unless you really want a new one. A used one, it might need to be resealed, maybe not (it's fairly easy to do). Might have some scratches. $1 per gallon is a decent price to pay, maybe more. Larger tanks, maybe $1.5 to $2 per gallon. Look around on craigs list in your area. Also call around to some LFS (local fish stpres) and ask them if they have any used tanks or equipment.

A new tank, no scratches, won't need to be resealed. Set it up and put water in it. If you decide to sell it, you may not be able to get out of it what you put into it. Same thing with any equipment that you decide to buy. Try and get them used. If for some reason you decide to sell things, if you are asking used prices, sell quicker. Asking new prices, probably won't sell as fast. If you are buying used, look around local so you can go over and see the equipment working before you buy it.

These are just my opinions and experiences in my area. Others may tell you different.
Oh, BTW, plan on a reef. Start with softies. They can look really good. Call it a FOWLR and softies lol.
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LogJam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone - some awesome info - and very interesting opinions.

I don't have a tank yet - the space where I'm planning to put it has just about 5' 1" space (close to that) and unlimited vertical/depth space.

I have been looking at craigs list - and I'm patient - so think I should eventually be able to find an existing tank that I can 'inherit'. Saw a good deal last week for a 75 gallon - with all the equipment for ~450. Spoke to a fish service - and they said they'd move/set up/clean it all for ~425.

So - I'm pretty much just waiting!

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone - some awesome info - and very interesting opinions.

I don't have a tank yet - the space where I'm planning to put it has just about 5' 1" space (close to that) and unlimited vertical/depth space.

I have been looking at craigs list - and I'm patient - so think I should eventually be able to find an existing tank that I can 'inherit'. Saw a good deal last week for a 75 gallon - with all the equipment for ~450. Spoke to a fish service - and they said they'd move/set up/clean it all for ~425.

So - I'm pretty much just waiting!

I have a 75 and quickly outgrew that. I would look for a 120 (4'X2'X2') you will be much happier.

OP
OP
L

LogJam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm = thanks Paul -

when people say "outgrew" - do you mean you're thinking "i'd really like to put in some X and some Y - but my tank is full!"?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm = thanks Paul -

when people say "outgrew" - do you mean you're thinking "i'd really like to put in some X and some Y - but my tank is full!"?

For me my monti caps are huge and starting to shade other coral. I want to get other coral but literally don't have the room. So I just got a used 220..:bigsmile: eventually your coral will grow into and over each other.

pugbreath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef, since you are already looking you can save yourself a lot of money by getting the best equipment you can afford to start out with. I started a FOWLR and purchased equipment based on that. I have replaced everything I purchased first because it was not good enough for reefing...lights, pumps, controller.

OP
OP
L

LogJam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah - coral growth - shows how much of a newb I am...

how 'fast' do you see growth? is it like plants where you have fast growing / slow growing / etc?

pug - thanks for the perspective - that is interesting - definitely want to be as 'efficient' as I can be (meaning avoid re-buying things)

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how 'fast' do you see growth? is it like plants where you have fast growing / slow growing / etc?

Exactly, they grow at different rates but the monti caps and digis can grow very fast. Some people account for growth and then just keep fragging to keep the coral at a certain size and then selling/trading off the frags. It is a lot like gardening where you have to prune some of the plants.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back