To sock or not

  • Thread starter Thread starter ncfishguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
123
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if everyone runs Filter sock in there sump? If u don't like to see sumo pic how it set up to keep bubbles out and if u do why u do bout pods and other stuff u want to keep
 
I can try to post a pic later. But I don't use socks or anything between baffles (ie sponges). The way I keep bubbles out is by having my skimmer output facing away and as far as possible from the baffle leading to the return. I use a Trigger sump so my refugium is separate and recyles water back into the skimmer section. I also keep my return pump at the opposite far end and pointing away from the skimmer section. No bubbles.
 
I use socks because if I don't I get too much junk settling in the sump and since my sump is on the ground it's not easy to clean out. I also find running socks keeps the DT a bit more clear. My overflow comes out a bit under the waterline of the sump (herbie/bean style) so even without socks there are not any bubbles though.
 
I use socks after a water change. Other than that, I'm sockless. If you choose to use them, a lot of people do, remember to change them out regularly.
 
In tanks where I haven't used filter socks, the sump always turns into a dump. So, you'll want to either suck all the detritus out of the sump (wet dry vac works great), and/or take the sump out at least once a year for a thorough cleaning.
 
I got rid of socks because they are a PIA!! I now have my tank setup with the overflow going straight into a refugium. The fuge has some hermits and a bristle worm or two, I get very little detritus in the sump but when I do, I use this bad boy and I love it!!! Right now my nitrates are around 1ppm with three feedings a day and my phosphates are around .03 last I checked.
 
Ncfishguy ive wondered the same things. ive contemplated in the future running a system with no mechanical and always interested in hearing about others and how the maintain their reefs.
 
I got rid of socks because they are a PIA!! I now have my tank setup with the overflow going straight into a refugium. The fuge has some hermits and a bristle worm or two, I get very little detritus in the sump but when I do, I use this bad boy and I love it!!! Right now my nitrates are around 1ppm with three feedings a day and my phosphates are around .03 last I checked.

Now that's what I'm talkin bout [emoji108]
 
Ncfishguy ive wondered the same things. ive contemplated in the future running a system with no mechanical and always interested in hearing about others and how the maintain their reefs.

Yea always wondered why everyone else tanks were like I'm really thinkin bout throwing my socks out !
 
Socks help keep your sump clean. Ran the DT with out them for a while didn't see a difference other then my sump getting a bunch detritus. Sucks keeping up with changing them tho.
 
Yea I change mine every three days and pic pods off just get aggravated cleaning them
 
They are a pain to clean. I did however see a great thread on here on how to make some yourself super cheap!! Like a few cents each sock this way you can just toss them Instead of cleaning them never got around to looking into it and can't find the thread :(
 
Cleaning them wasn't the issue for me, it was having to change them so often. To me it's much easier to use my nifty little vacuum ever couple of months.
 
Use a bucket top wet vac from home depot or Lowes for 20 25 bucks works great
 
I bought several of these socks when I was at Reefapalooza in Orlando this year from Scott and could not be any happier. They are a cinch to clean and do a tremendous job of cleaning up the suspended particulate.

If you are going to run socks, try these out.... you will be a happy reefkeeper....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new