To Sock or Not!

  • Thread starter Thread starter GMay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Not... for me, anyway.

Socks trap detritus, and let it sit, trapped, in the water column, and rot. Without a sock, the same detritus settles, somewhere in the water column, and rots. Once it's broken down, the same processes account for it, regardless of having a sock, or not... sooo... what's the point?

I suppose, if you're going to change out socks every few days, you're going to catch a decent amount of 'stuff' before it rots... fine. I know myself well enough to know that I'm NOT going to change socks that often. There is little or no benefit in socks for me.

As an added consideration, socks prevent micro critters from freely migrating around the system. Adding a screen that traps and kills or removes copepods and other micro crustaceans that I'm trying so hard to grow? No thanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new