To Sponge or Not to Sponge

Chickadeedeedee

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2025
Messages
45
Reaction score
28
Location
Johnstown, CO
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am currently running a 75 gal mixed reef tank with 2x Tidal75s as my filter (I am so mad I didnt go sump, but whats done is done). I started in fresh water and grew a love for all things sponge and sponge filter. Nutrient export is as easy as add more plants so nitrate buildup really was never a problem.
Currently I am have sponges on my filter intakes (see pic). These obviously pick up a ton of detritus and I have been cleaning them, but whenever I pull off the sponges they release a ton of stuff back into the tank. Should I remove them and add more mechanical filtration into the filter bodies or should what I have work well?

PXL_20260306_032302624.MP.jpg
 
What is your maintenance routine… Do you periodically squeeze the sponges out repeatedly into a bucket of clean RODI water and then put them back in? That might be sufficient, if using them has been working for you.
 
What is your maintenance routine… Do you periodically squeeze the sponges out repeatedly into a bucket of clean RODI water and then put them back in? That might be sufficient, if using them has been working for you.
Previously I have not been doing that. Now that I am seeing an issue I am going to at least squeeze one every weekly water change.
 
to keep the sponge from dirty bombing your tank on removal, try to take a bag and gently enclose it in the bag as you remove it.
 
the corse sponge on the intake can add a lot of effective mech and bio filtration
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new