To the Wrasse Experts - Can you make suggestions based on my criteria?

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce some movement and colour to my 5x2x2. It is currently fallow (ich) but I plan to restock soon. I will have tangs and possible a couple of butterflies but know very little about wrasses and have found lots of conflicting or confusing information. Hoping for 2 or 3 different species in the tank.

Here is my criteria. It's a tough one -

- I am going bare bottom - Fish that either don't require sand or would be ok with a container with sand behind rock-work
- Fish with a low-moderate care and aggression level.
- Will be happy in a 5x2x2 ft tank

As for 'nice-to-haves' -

- Found in Australian or pacific waters if possible. Much easier for me to get hold of.
- If possible will not decimate my clean up crew but I'm willing to make sacrifices in terms of the type of CUC I have.
- Has a taste for pests

Grateful for you help.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce some movement and colour to my 5x2x2. It is currently fallow (ich) but I plan to restock soon. I will have tangs and possible a couple of butterflies but know very little about wrasses and have found lots of conflicting or confusing information. Hoping for 2 or 3 different species in the tank.

Here is my criteria. It's a tough one -

- I am going bare bottom - no wrasse requiring a sand
- Fish with a low-moderate care and aggression level.
- Will be happy in a 5x2x2 ft tank

As for 'nice-to-haves' -

- Found in Australian or pacific waters if possible. Much easier for me to get hold of.
- If possible will not decimate my clean up crew but I'm willing to make sacrifices in terms of the type of CUC I have.
- Has a taste for pests

Grateful for you help.

A little difficult to check all the boxes as most of the pest hunters require sand to sleep in. If you could tuck a container of sand behind the rock work it would expand the possiblities.

Lots fairy and flasher wrasse that fit your criteria. C. lineatus is a beautiful fairy wrasse found in Australia, C. jordani is Pacific (though eastern Pacific). There are lots of other possiblities. Just depends on your preference and what pleases your eye.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little difficult to check all the boxes as most of the pest hunters require sand to sleep in. If you could tuck a container of sand behind the rock work it would expand the possiblities.

I can definitely do this, I didn't realise this might be a suitable option. Will update the criteria

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses will work, as for Australia, the following might work as they come from Australia (or it is at least one of the places listed for collection):

Ruby Headed Fairy Wrasse (C.Cyanopleura)
Labout's Fairy Wrasse (C.Labouti)
Fine Spotted Fairy Wrasse (C.Punctatus)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (P. McCoskeri)

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back