To Top, or Not to Top, That is the (Stand) Question.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my stand built, poured a concrete slab and everything so it’s about as level as my primitive monkey eyeball and bubble of air can get.

Anyways. I was originally going to put a 3/4” piece of plywood on top to make it look nicer, got it cut and stained and everything. However, between when I purchased it and now, it seems to have developed a bit of a warp to it. No longer as flat as it used to be, which makes me hesitant to use it. The tank is rimmed, so I know it doesn’t support the tank any better than just the regular top frame. My questions are.

How bad of an idea is it to use it now that it has a bow to it? (My guess is about as good as setting off an explosive device inside of a spacecraft).

Would not having it weaken the stand at all? I’m guessing probably not much. But worth an ask.

Is there any benefit to not having a top on the stand, as in being able to look at the bottom on the tank from below, checking for debris buildup or whatnot?

The top frame is as flat and flush as I could get it with the skills and tools I have available, so it should be okay without it, but it’s probably not absolutely perfect, because I am not and thus cannot make perfect things. That, and the wood has such a variation in its dimensions that it’s been causing me a world of grief.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bow wouldn’t worry me at all. The weight of the tank will flatten it out since the stand is flat and the bottom of your tank is flat.

It’s not like some 1/2 gallon nano tank right?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I built the stand for my 75 gallon, I ended up getting a sheet of 1/2 styrofoam insulation, cutting it slightly larger then the tank, painting it black and using that under the tank.
it worked great! There are pics of that tank in my build thread.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built the stand for my 75 gallon, I ended up getting a sheet of 1/2 styrofoam insulation, cutting it slightly larger then the tank, painting it black and using that under the tank.
it worked great! There are pics of that tank in my build thread.
I asked that question early on, and the answer was almost universally “That’s a terrible idea.” Because it’s a rimmed tank, and that could end up applying pressure onto the bottom glass instead of the rim. Plus in these parts, it’s virtually impossible to find styrofoam sheets that big.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked that question early on, and the answer was almost universally “That’s a terrible idea.” Because it’s a rimmed tank, and that could end up applying pressure onto the bottom glass instead of the rim. Plus in these parts, it’s virtually impossible to find styrofoam sheets that big.
I don’t think styrofoam is a good idea for your situation but they don’t sell 4’x8’ sheets of styrofoam for insulation in BC?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think styrofoam is a good idea for your situation but they don’t sell 4’x8’ sheets of styrofoam for insulation in BC?
Yes and no.

I have not found a single sheet of just plain styrofoam anywhere near 4x8x0.5. All that I ever see is insulation, the smallest thickness being 1”.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my stand is 32" my tank is 28" ... I extended the top 3" on sides and front, this rim makes an excellent place to stand when I'm diving into the tank.
Also, my tank is framed, has a 1/2 space under the glass, I loaded it with 1/" styrofoam insulation. Keep the water warm?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my stand built, poured a concrete slab and everything so it’s about as level as my primitive monkey eyeball and bubble of air can get.

Anyways. I was originally going to put a 3/4” piece of plywood on top to make it look nicer, got it cut and stained and everything. However, between when I purchased it and now, it seems to have developed a bit of a warp to it. No longer as flat as it used to be, which makes me hesitant to use it. The tank is rimmed, so I know it doesn’t support the tank any better than just the regular top frame. My questions are.

How bad of an idea is it to use it now that it has a bow to it? (My guess is about as good as setting off an explosive device inside of a spacecraft).

Would not having it weaken the stand at all? I’m guessing probably not much. But worth an ask.

Is there any benefit to not having a top on the stand, as in being able to look at the bottom on the tank from below, checking for debris buildup or whatnot?

The top frame is as flat and flush as I could get it with the skills and tools I have available, so it should be okay without it, but it’s probably not absolutely perfect, because I am not and thus cannot make perfect things. That, and the wood has such a variation in its dimensions that it’s been causing me a world of grief.
It sounds like you're worried about the integrity of the stand. You might want to split the difference, so to speak, and add a couple braces to the top part of the stand. By this I mean attaching them to the underside of your top "box", to add stability and prevent it from racking; not anything the tank or tank trim will touch.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're worried about the integrity of the stand. You might want to split the difference, so to speak, and add a couple braces to the top part of the stand. By this I mean attaching them to the underside of your top "box", to add stability and prevent it from racking; not anything the tank or tank trim will touch.
I am. I’ve already done that. Top frame is 2x8s with 2x6 braces, legs are 2x6s as well. It’s kinda overbuilt in that regard, but I want to be absolutely sure, as I can’t afford to replace the tank if the stand ever fails. Got it for a deal of a lifetime.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am. I’ve already done that. Top frame is 2x8s with 2x6 braces, legs are 2x6s as well. It’s kinda overbuilt in that regard, but I want to be absolutely sure, as I can’t afford to replace the tank if the stand ever fails. Got it for a deal of a lifetime.
Sounds like I could park my truck on that, lol.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 3.8%
Back