Top lids = Top Notch

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the diy route and it did not turn out well. Lasted log enough, but working arounf the lights and other wires going into the tank caused a flimsy nightmare. I had to rely on tape and rubberbands to keep the lid flish with the back and not dip into the tank.
Same and it looked like garbage. What a waste of time and money.

Also, I wasn’t about to go to Home Depot and ask them to help me build a fish tank cover…

My skills aren’t mechanical in nature, so I pay for others to do it. I measure 3 times, cut 5 times, and it shows.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is that enough people realize this top lids business is a scam at worst, and scummy at best. I tell everyone about my crap experience. I will keep telling everyone.

As for the diy route. I needed a lid during the whole top lid garbage. So I ordered this DD lid. I know how to measure unlike toplids who are garbage so it was a 20min job for me.

I highly recommend.
20240411_175556.jpg

20240411_175603.jpg

20240411_175540.jpg

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real question is, why do hobbyist feel the need to spend money on esthetics when you can achieve the same goal for a fraction with hardware store aluminum frame for window screens and 1/4" mesh?

A clear case of cognitive dissonance. You want to keep your fish from jumping but don't want to spend a lot to do so.

Another question we should be asking ourselves is, what post, thread, article, event, or video conditioned us to think this was acceptable?
Oh, I think it's a luxury item for sure and not at all necessary. There are even cheap kits on Amazon for making lids with magnetic attachment for like 30$. I got a kraken lid for a nano tank, an only spent something over 100% and it was also because it creates a nice place for a feeding cup and attachment point for an autofeeder.

I would never consider spending 500$ on a lid. For a large tank I would DIY for sure. For my little deskmate.... 100ish was acceptable for the convenience and quality, to me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back