Top lids = Top Notch

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve learned. Always check Etsy. Tons of small businesses and shops for custom reef items.

I actually just bought an entire 83 gallon custom reef ready aquarium combo from Etsy. Low iron glass, rimless, ghost overflow, hand made cabinet, sump, acrylic ato, plumbing kit.

My lids came from Etsy. My frag racks and shelves. Etsy is awesome
No way! A whole aquarium? That's amazing. Edited to add, I just searched not seeing anything like that link my man!

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! A whole aquarium? That's amazing.

Yea. For about 1300$ Including the freight shipping :) bought it direct from Current USA, I shared with the community here. I think there are 18-19 left then the deal is gone forever. They were losing money because freight shipping was costing 500-600 per order so now they charge 200$ if you want the plumbing kit (optional).

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

idahojoe66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m living the Top Lid nightmare! I ordered a custom lid for my Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL on 2/3 and paid them $466…1/3 what I paid for my tank…ouch. On 3/15 they sent me a message that my lid is in production and will ship in 2 to 2.5 weeks. Today I received on update it didn’t pass final quality and they need to reproduce my lid which could take another month. It’s been nothing but excuse after excuse. If I ran my business this way I would be out of business. I’ve heard their lids are incredible, but getting one is the WORST experience ever.

vinnie66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm mine failed Final Quality Check as well. Would bet our emails are exactly the same lol. Paid them 2/8/24. Hopefully these lids are worth the wait.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I spoke too soon. I received my lid today. All the custom measurements we had agreed on (light cutout locations, overflow box cutout size, etc) weren't done. :( Contacted them regarding all the measurement issues, we'll see how they handle things from here. Pretty annoyed considering the amount of lead time from placing the order till finally receiving the lid.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why even bother with anyone but Kraken lid? They do flawless work and treat customers well. Why is anyone even bothering to shop at these other, janky, lid vendors?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why even bother with anyone but Kraken lid? They do flawless work and treat customers well. Why is anyone even bothering to shop at these other, janky, lid vendors?

I used a seller on Etsy that makes custom lids to get a pair for my 75g, thy were customized exactly as I wanted and a perfect fit. Paid less than 90$ shipped. He has a website now so people can buy outside of Etsy

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real question is, why do hobbyist feel the need to spend money on esthetics when you can achieve the same goal for a fraction with hardware store aluminum frame for window screens and 1/4" mesh?

A clear case of cognitive dissonance. You want to keep your fish from jumping but don't want to spend a lot to do so.

Another question we should be asking ourselves is, what post, thread, article, event, or video conditioned us to think this was acceptable?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real question is, why do hobbyist feel the need to spend money on esthetics when you can achieve the same goal for a fraction with hardware store aluminum frame for window screens and 1/4" mesh?

A clear case of cognitive dissonance. You want to keep your fish from jumping but don't want to spend a lot to do so.

Another question we should be asking ourselves is, what post, thread, article, event, or video conditioned us to think this was acceptable?
But but but… all the Influncers have them… isn’t that how it works? Oh you got a following here’s some free stuff, put it in your videos let’s make them believe they need it! Not want it. lol… that and pure laziness cause it’s too much work to lift a screen to feed their fish.. I make these things and hate them! Actually, despise them haha! I have the most boring lid in the world with a feeding port I don’t even use, I just feed through the netting. I would never buy one of these no matter who made them for the money they charge.. that’s a few nice angels or something I’ll enjoy much more than a piece of plastic.. lol if you got jumpers then yeah head to Home Depot buy a window frame it’s cheap $20 and some mesh off Amazon for $7 and be done…

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But but but… all the Influncers have them… isn’t that how it works? Oh you got a following here’s some free stuff, put it in your videos let’s make them believe they need it! Not want it. lol… that and pure laziness cause it’s too much work to lift a screen to feed their fish.. I make these things and hate them! Actually, despise them haha! I have the most boring lid in the world with a feeding port I don’t even use, I just feed through the netting. I would never buy one of these no matter who made them for the money they charge.. that’s a few nice angels or something I’ll enjoy much more than a piece of plastic.. lol if you got jumpers then yeah head to Home Depot buy a window frame it’s cheap $20 and some mesh off Amazon for $7 and be done…

Same goes for corals and fish.

Who needs GMK zoas when brown button polyps grow just fine?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because some of us are useless when it comes to DIY. If I tried to build one it would collapse into the tank within a week. I gave up on DIY a long time ago.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same goes for corals and fish.

Who needs GMK zoas when brown button polyps grow just fine?
Agreed! I have the most common corals one could own in my tank lol.. nothing high end at all! I don’t play the name game.. I have yard trash from what I’ve heard :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: … ever seen a tank of the month with coral names? I’ll wait…..

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried the diy route and it did not turn out well. Lasted log enough, but working arounf the lights and other wires going into the tank caused a flimsy nightmare. I had to rely on tape and rubberbands to keep the lid flish with the back and not dip into the tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because some of us are useless when it comes to DIY. If I tried to build one it would collapse into the tank within a week. I gave up on DIY a long time ago.
Home Depot will cut it to size.. slide 4 plastic clips in the corners and stretch the net.. I’m sure Home Depot would do that for you also if you brought it with you..

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted solid top (to reduce evaporation) lids to replace my glass lids, and I added a few rows of holes for some aeration and also to rest tools on and allow to drip back into the tank instead of making pools on the lid. Feed ports make things convenient for me, I use them all the time.

I’m pretty handy but I can’t make something as nice and precise as this without special tools/equipment and I got the pair custom made for 90$

4C68CA01-C38C-4E73-99A1-B91F50D8DE29.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back