OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will do.
The idea of, in essence, poisoning my fish, and not knowing how much I am poisoning them, and then, if in the end, it turns out to be for nothing...
Well, it's not sitting well with me.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will do.
The idea of, in essence, poisoning my fish, and not knowing how much I am poisoning them, and then, if in the end, it turns out to be for nothing...
Well, it's not sitting well with me.
I had the same issue with API - just couldn’t read it. I switched to CHEMetrics Copper Test (amazon or they have their own web site). It’s more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I found I was way over dosed in Copper safe & did multiple water small water changes to get it down. Interestingly I found it was easier to read inside rather then outside.

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with API - just couldn’t read it. I switched to CHEMetrics Copper Test (amazon or they have their own web site). It’s more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I found I was way over dosed in Copper safe & did multiple water small water changes to get it down. Interestingly I found it was easier to read inside rather then outside.
Thanks for the input. You answered my big question, whether or not it also works with chelated copper. I looked online thus morning, although it doesnt have a 2.5ppm setpoint, it should be easier to make a valid guess to the copper level. I think I'll probably order it through Cole-Parmer. A few bucks more than Amazon, but I should get it sooner.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. You answered my big question, whether or not it also works with chelated copper. I looked online thus morning, although it doesnt have a 2.5ppm setpoint, it should be easier to make a valid guess to the copper level. I think I'll probably order it through Cole-Parmer. A few bucks more than Amazon, but I should get it sooner.
Sure - they’ve got a pretty helpful video on their site. I like to stand under an overhead light and slightly tilt the reference guide from flat position with sample laying on it. Good luck!

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure that it would, as that's kind of "off-label".

If your test looks about 2.0, you're probably good. Some folks shoot for 2.5 as insurance - so if it looks a bit darker than 2, but not nearly so dark as 4.0, . . . .

Yeah. Not always precisely _precise_, this hobby.

~Bruce, who uses Coppersafe, and the same test kit.
I hope you're right. Just for the sake of curiosity, I tried adding 10 drops to 25 ml of water (5x the 5ml for the test).
Test reading came out between 1ppm and 2ppm, which would be 5ppm-10ppm!
All fish are fine and eating, so I'm sure that result is Waayyy off

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading that test also has a lot to do with how much (distance) fluid you're reading through - if the 5ml was in a shallow container, rather than API's test tube, the reading would be pretty radically different.

~Bruce

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm next the test sample up in a separate container, and then dumped 5 ml of the test sample back into the API test tube to read the results

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Got the CHEMetrics test kit. Looks like the Copper Power is at a little over 2.5ppm.
Now, how often do I need to test? According to information provided by Copper Power, it precipitates out at an extremely low rate.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Got the CHEMetrics test kit. Looks like the Copper Power is at a little over 2.5ppm.
Now, how often do I need to test? According to information provided by Copper Power, it precipitates out at an extremely low rate.
I check Chemetrics every 3 day’s and it’s been consistent in a 10g. Obviously evaporation is replaced using pure water with no copper. Water changes need to be prepared/tested with copper before adding to qt. I then like to test the qt after a few hours just to doublecheck the overall qt copper level. I’d like to hear from some of the more experienced users on their suggestion.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your tank. If there are no rocks or sand or other copper absorbing items in the tank every few days should suffice for testing.

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check Chemetrics every 3 day’s and it’s been consistent in a 10g. Obviously evaporation is replaced using pure water with no copper. Water changes need to be prepared/tested with copper before adding to qt. I then like to test the qt after a few hours just to doublecheck the overall qt copper level. I’d like to hear from some of the more experienced users on their suggestion.
+1
It depends on your tank. If there are no rocks or sand or other copper absorbing items in the tank every few days should suffice for testing.
I have about 4 cups of SeaChem Matrix in the QT. I have not added and more Copper Power since the day before Thankgiving.. Would the Matrix still be absorbing the CP? And if it drops below the recommended 2.5ppm, once the 2.5ppm is again reached, the clock resets, correct?

If the QT period does have to start over after a drop, would it be a good idea to maybe elevate the CP level above the recommended 2.5ppm, to say, 3ppm? That way, the chance of it ever getting below the 2.5ppm would be (most) unlikely? Would the higher level increase the stress on the fish?
(Maybe @Humblefish may know the answer?)

Thanks for your help, guys!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tigé21v I would say with Copper Power you have a therapeutic range of 2.0-2.5ppm. Just don't let it drop below 2.0 and you are golden.
Agree. Op, you also confused me! CP is Chloroquine Phosphate, but I just realized that copper power has the same “initials”. That’s pretty confusing! Cp is a different drug than copper though, for the casual reader :)

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Op, you also confused me! CP is Chloroquine Phosphate, but I just realized that copper power has the same “initials”. That’s pretty confusing! Cp is a different drug than copper though, for the casual reader :)
o_O
My Apologies! I'm new to this fish QT thing..

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o_O
My Apologies! I'm new to this fish QT thing..
It’s no problem, I highly doubt you’re the only one confused by it! You actually brought it to my attention that we are likely confusing others! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back