To use RO DI water

Duncs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first question I have as I am about to start setting up my marine tank. I'm having a bit of a disagreement with the wife as she claims that the marine tank we had about 15 years ago that we just used tap water and used the conditioner to remove the nasties. After doing some research it looks like using RO DI is a given.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A given if your going to keep corals.
RODI takes everything out of the source water and you put others back to mimic sea water.
Tap water is great in some areas, not so good in others.
Fish only system, maybe I’d use tap, but water is the single most important component and what’s in it (or not) is paramount, IMM, to success.
Zero TDS…..always to start…..start right….end right.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first question I have as I am about to start setting up my marine tank. I'm having a bit of a disagreement with the wife as she claims that the marine tank we had about 15 years ago that we just used tap water and used the conditioner to remove the nasties. After doing some research it looks like using RO DI is a given.
I wouldn't bother having a tank without rodi. With how much emphasis there is on water chemistry you'd be starting with an up hill battle.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on the RODI system, better to be safe then sorry. With having contaminates in the water. Depending on were you water source is from? You will have less algae also with a RODI system also.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one local reefer in our club has been anti-rodi for the past 5 years i've been a part of the group. despite our fairly clean tap water she has killed more fish and coral than 10 RODI using reefers combined and can only keep leathers and mushrooms now.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI. Not a fan of unintentionally introducing unwanted elements and/or compounds into my reef. Plus, zero TDS water helps in pinpointing a problem because at least one knows it's not the source water.

Mxracer65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used tap or rodi. I have always used ro from local store. I have mixed reef tank, softies lps and sps. Tank is 10+ years old.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used tap or rodi. I have always used ro from local store. I have mixed reef tank, softies lps and sps. Tank is 10+ years old.
Didn't this cost more and offer less in the long run?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully kept FOWLR tank back in the 90's in San Jose, using tap water that one could generously refer to as "Chemical soup". This water was barely fit for human consumption to be honest. The fish never seemed to mind. HOWEVER, once I tried to add inverts, BTA, and a couple zoa frags, death within a couple days was the result.

You may get away with it where you live, but I would advise against it if you plan on any corals or nems. An RODI setup is relatively inexpensive and well worth the cost for peace of mind.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus it leaves no minerals behind when I throw it on the hot rocks in my Finnish sauna. Pure loyly!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok soooo..... here's the question do you want corals? If you want corals RODI is almost a must to be able to grow everything correctly. You might get to grow a few things that won't die but in general everything will be so off and wacky it won't grow or survive.

If you are not going to go with corals and just a FOWLR tank or just fish with plastic SpongeBob decorations then you can use Tap water. Bjt if you tap water is really hard and has lots of TDS in it you would be doing your fish a favor by giving them RODI. Depending on how big your tank is you might not need a big RODI filter and the cost won't be to bad

Also if you get an RODI filter you don't ever have to buy declorinator again! It does that for you. Congrats.

SydneyRose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, an RODI system is a small investment (when compared to the whole system) for the long term health of a tank. It’s also convenient to have it ready whenever you need it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back