To UV Sterilize or not..

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. I currently run a 9W Green Killing Machine on my 29 gallon + 10 gallon sump solely as a precaution.. Is it worth the money/effort? Considering returing to make room in the sump for a small refugium. Thank you all. :)

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found it invaluable to kill dinos.

I've been running one for years and I'm honestly not sure if it makes a difference (aside from dinos) besides adding more maintenance and money...

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas, since always using one I have never even considered battling dinos. Perhaps it may be worth leaving then?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas, since always using one I have never even considered battling dinos. Perhaps it may be worth leaving then?

That's probably not the reason you haven't had dinos. :/. I went almost 20 years with never knowing what a dino was...

In order to kill my dino outbreak I had to install a second 57w UV plumbed directly in the display (not sump). I was still running my 114w UV in the sump.

My rational for running a UV is that it probably doesn't hurt and it very well might help with algae and water clarity. It really doesn't help with disease control.

The more I read from people I trust, the more I think running a UV is not the best way to solve whatever problem you think it's going to solve.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love for some more long time UV users to chime in!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run a reef tank without an oversized UV unit. Have always ran them 24X7. First installed to help combat dinos and some cloudy water. UV, along with some other methods, finally cleared the tank of dinos.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an undersized UV sterilizer on my last system and it was the best decision I ever made. I got a line on a used one when I was having algae issues and it made a big difference in combating cyano and dinos. I really question the methodology behind sizing UV sterilizers though as mine was only ~1/3 of the size recommending at 80 watts HO but within a day of running it the skimmer foam density rapidly increased to the point where I needed to put ballast on the skimmer lid to keep it from being lifted off. I keep mine running 24x7 and I can't wait to get it running again once I have the first part of my new system online and transfer the fish and corals into that system. Another benefit that I have been considering with UV that is not often talked about is its ability to oxidize and break down other organic chemicals in the water. I have not seen any studies related to the impact of UV light on coral toxins but I have read a few other studies on the impacts of UV light on other chemical substances an how they become degraded from exposure to UV light. It makes me wonder if a UV sterilizer might also create the benefit of reducing the impact of chemical warfare between competing species of corals in the same aquarium system.

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for the replys, very insightful! Ive decided to upgrade to a larger sump, add a refugium, and leave the UV. Thanks again!!! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back