Toadstool Coral Placement?

billswin99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this guy for about 2 weeks.

I have tried top, middle and bottom of the tank.

I have tried in medium flow and high direct.

Only place he would extend a little was in the sand but he is so big kept falling over.

Any tips tricks? Does he need to point straight up? Seems like he keeps moving. Want to make sure he has room to grow.

He is around 5 inches when not mad.

He is attached to small rocks.
0174ce7fc9a9cfcb3a94e44652db0b7b.heic

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually fall over (bend) when they are stressed, not because of weight. Give it some time at the bottom and see if it gets better.

OP
OP
B

billswin99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually fall over (bend) when they are stressed, not because of weight. Give it some time at the bottom and see if it gets better.

He was falling over because when I bought him he is attached to a small rock. When I put him in the sand he stays until he grew and fell over. So now he is around mid tank wedged in a rock but at an angle.

It’s almost like he needs to be removed from his tiny rock and attach to one of the big live rocks in the tank.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was falling over because when I bought him he is attached to a small rock. When I put him in the sand he stays until he grew and fell over. So now he is around mid tank wedged in a rock but at an angle.

It’s almost like he needs to be removed from his tiny rock and attach to one of the big live rocks in the tank.
Does the whole rock tip over, or does the stalk just bend?
If it does, it could still be possible that the toadstool bend from stress, and toppled over due to its weight.

How long was it been in the tank?

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another option is to use super glue gel or aquarium epoxy to attach it's rock to a larger one. ;)

FWIW, my Toadstool took over a month to fully open once I stopped moving it around. The more you mess with it or it's environment, the longer you keep it stressed and the longer it will take to open up.

OP
OP
B

billswin99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to use super glue gel or aquarium epoxy to attach it's rock to a larger one. ;)

FWIW, my Toadstool took over a month to fully open once I stopped moving it around. The more you mess with it or it's environment, the longer you keep it stressed and the longer it will take to open up.

Thats not a bad idea with the epoxy. I assume it’s strong enough to hold when he grows much bigger?

He is angled towards the glass currently is that an issue? Thought he would curve towards the lights. Should his stalk point straight up.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not a bad idea with the epoxy. I assume it’s strong enough to hold when he grows much bigger?

Yes.

He is angled towards the glass currently is that an issue? Thought he would curve towards the lights. Should his stalk point straight up.

It will turn toward the light if it needs more. Make sure you leave plenty of room for it to grow; when mine reached 10", it had to be placed on the bottom beside the rockwork as it was shading everything else.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently got a frag and want to place it right. i worry about having him in the sand cause my fish keep causing sand to fall on it. Should that worry me and should i move him up higher in the tank?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop moving him around. Imagine how productive you would be at work if HR had you move your entire office around every two days. They need to settle down

I have leathers and toadstools growing in high light and high flow and low light and low flow. Stop touching it and just let it settle down.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop moving him around. Imagine how productive you would be at work if HR had you move your entire office around every two days. They need to settle down

I have leathers and toadstools growing in high light and high flow and low light and low flow. Stop touching it and just let it settle down.

I haven't moved mine since placing it in the sand the day we got it. I'm just not sure if i should be worried about the sand that our fish keep causing to fall on it or not.
Also not sure if it should be attached to a bigger piece of rock and then put in the sand or what, it's attached to just a tiny piece of rock right now.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't moved mine since placing it in the sand the day we got it. I'm just not sure if i should be worried about the sand that our fish keep causing to fall on it or not.
Also not sure if it should be attached to a bigger piece of rock and then put in the sand or what, it's attached to just a tiny piece of rock right now.
Raising it off the sand bed isn’t a bad idea.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising it off the sand bed isn’t a bad idea.

Unfortunately it will have to wait a week. I had surgery on my elbow Wed and don't get the bandage off till the 12th. Don't want to mess up the coral trying to do it one handed or get my arm and bandage soaked with salt water lol.

Lovelydrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you heal fast! Mine is probably around the same size as yours, or maybe slightly larger. It took a while for it to extend the polyps, but does open up most of the time. Some days it just doesn't open up, this thing is pretty resilient.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back