Toadstool Frag Won’t Open ( but starts to)

driciladr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day my little toadstool frag ( it’s only been 3 days) starts to extend when my 1 hr ramp up lights come on but once lights are on he closes back up. All other frags are full open. He looks like he’s shed too and tank he was in was 150 par. Based on BRS settings on AI I have tried him in my tank in middle third and on sand. My tank is 19 x 14 with 10” height on prime, so par should be higher than he’s used to but should I move him to dark ?

API testing undetectable Nitrates so feeding more all other tests 0
Calcium 440
Alkalinity 8
PH is low 7.8 but read to stop adjusting PH with buffers better to have steady IMG_7118.png IMG_7098.png

Attachments

• IMG_7117.mov
    14.8 MB

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day my little toadstool frag ( it’s only been 3 days) starts to extend when my 1 hr ramp up lights come on but once lights are on he closes back up. All other frags are full open. He looks like he’s shed too and tank he was in was 150 par. Based on BRS settings on AI I have tried him in my tank in middle third and on sand. My tank is 19 x 14 with 10” height on prime, so par should be higher than he’s used to but should I move him to dark ?

API testing undetectable Nitrates so feeding more all other tests 0
Calcium 440
Alkalinity 8
PH is low 7.8 but read to stop adjusting PH with buffers better to have steady IMG_7118.png IMG_7098.png

Its only been 3 days. Give it time to acclimate.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh I know to be patient, I just get worried how happy he looks an hour before lights come on then gone when they ramp up.
You should reduce the intensity of the lights in your tank when you add new coral.

Corals need acclamation to lighting. If you put them in the tank on the full intensity, they may react negatively.

OP
OP
driciladr

driciladr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should reduce the intensity of the lights in your tank when you add new coral.

Corals need acclamation to lighting. If you put them in the tank on the full intensity, they may react negatively.
Okay thanks!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Toadstool Leathers are strange. One will be closed, for days, while the other will be open. Sometimes they get a slight slimecoat, which they discard.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back