Toadstool Fragging Tips

  • Thread starter Thread starter JGT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2020
Messages
6,664
Reaction score
7,477
Location
Northeast
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried three times now to frag a long polyped toadstool I have and all 3 times, the result has been the same: death of the frags. I cut the frags and loosely attach attach them to frag tiles with rubber bands.
All 3 times their demise is the same. First day or so, they look good. Polyps extended, puffy, healthy. Then the frags get a brown, jelly like substance on them, like BJD, and by day 4 they are toast.
I’ve tried growing them in both my grow out tank and my DT and still the same end result. Any ideas on why and how to avoid this? Thanks.
 
I just fragged up a toadstool yesterday (first time for me). What I commonly see from others is that they submerge the frags in an iodine solution to help with the healing processes. Did you try that?
 
20220814_120914.jpg
 
I just fragged up a toadstool yesterday (first time for me). What I commonly see from others is that they submerge the frags in an iodine solution to help with the healing processes. Did you try that?
Yes, one time I tried a Lugol’s dip and another time I tried a peroxide dip. Same result.
 
Really cannot help, toadstools are easy to frag, simply cut piece with sharp scissors or blade, and that's it...

Sounds it get some infection where cut is, but why? U use activated carbon?
 
Sterilize cutting tool with flame or alcohol. Could help?
 
sorry,
have a massive green toad stool and twice now I have had to give it a major hair cut - trimming all the way around the central disc
then cut up the frags and drop them in a plastic tray with aragonite and coral ruble
they are all attached and growing a week later
no rubber band, just kept them from blowing around

Pictures shorty
B91C1BFE-64F5-4C74-BD3F-199B8535A34B.jpeg
F169A413-3E0B-40E4-BE10-4D9C2684021D.jpeg
A31C024C-4E50-4359-B8DC-D6EAE77D7580.jpeg
 
Last edited:
For such leather/softies cutting i use angled scissors from first aid kit....

Very sharp, quality material, never had problem....
 
I know this is an old thread, but I use a razor blade, slice a chunk off, dry the cut edge on my t-shirt and then gel superglue the cut edge to a frag plug. The superglue needs to cover the entire cut edge, and the edge needs to be dry for the glue to adhere.

Since I switched to this method (from toothpicks, rubber bands, or mesh to attach frags) I've had 95% success.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new