Toadstool Leather and Brown Jelly Disease.

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can my toadstool leather get BJD. It hasn't open in a couple days and am worried about it getting the disease. I have had it for two years and would hate do loose it. I encluded a picture of it.

Please advise and thank you

leather.jpg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown Jelly is pretty much an instant killer. If you have it I would recommend throwing out anything infected right away because it's just going to spread so quick. That being said it only LPS are effected by brown jelly. Are you sure it's not just shedding it's skin? Toadstools can look unhappy for months only to fully open up like nothing ever happened on a random day.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can get infections resulting in tissue necrosis. Usually from stress or huge swings in water pramameters. Tissue turns grey or black requiring fragging or removal of dead tissue.

Usually leathers can withstand water pramameters that are more on the dirty side of the spectrum. They can succumb to bleaching from over lighting or very high alkalinity.

One thing that I see with yours is the edges are pale. Lighting could be too intense or alkalinity burn from a swing.

What's your water pramameters?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 75.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.9%
Back