Toadstool shape

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what things might effect the shape of a toadstool.

I have a pink toadstool that's probably 8 inches or so across that I've had for about a year. In any given day it can go through all sorts of shapes. Right now it's in my favorite shape, kinda perky with a few gentle ruffles. Thing is, I can come back in an hour and it might be shaped like a big floppy hat with polyps still fully extended.

It will even go through all these shapes after lights out. Last night I was working late and even with all it's polyps retracted it went from floppy hat, almost hugging the rock under it, to a wine glass shape, back to floppy hat, all the in the space of a couple hours.

I should add that I've had it in two different tanks with 3 different lights and it's behaved similar.

I can't imagine it's water chemistry when these shape changes can happen in such a short amount of time. But I'd love to know if there is a way to encourage it to keep it's more perky classic shape!

Also curious if there are specific species of toadstools that are more shaped than others since I'm looking for a new one for my other tank.

toadstool.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They do many frequent shape changes.
Affecting it will be the following:
Lighting
shedding
lack of water flow
irritated by shrimp or fish on its' surface looking for food

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It suddenly occurred to me that the reason everyone else's toadstools always look so cool is that they only take pictures when they are at their best! ;)

Quite possible it is reacting to creatures in the tank. Might explain the seeming randomness of it's shape changes. I have a more than healthy population of bristleworms and spaghetti worms, a few hydroids, tons of copepods, as well as various filter feeding worms in this tank. Maybe they are just enough to make it change shape without making it retract its polyps. No fish, just one lonely astraea snail.

Back