Toadstools.Japanese toadstool.. weeping willow... lets see them!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the correct genus for toadstool is Sarcophyton. Japanese toadstool is just the name of a nice strain (or strains) that has both green polyps and capitulum. Its neither deep water or from Japan.

There's a lot of different varieties of toadstools in the hobby, but most haven't been given distinct names or lineages, or even identified as to species. Japanese, Tyree green, long polyp weeping willow, yellow fiji are a few. The best thing is to see one you like an adult of, and try to get a frag from it.

To tell Sarcophyton from Lobophytum can sometimes be difficult as they both can have upwards reaching "arms." The best way is that if the arms only involve the edge it is Sarcophyton; if the are arms sticking up from the middle, Lobophytum. Lobophytum is sometimes called devils hand, although Lobophytum is a better name.

edit: I don't know what Palau refers to in this context, sorry
Thanks for explaining that. I did find one I sort of like on ebay, she did include a pic of mother colony, crazy long tentacles so That would be good for the long tentacle one. Its also not real big, she said the mother is 7 inches tall counting tentacles and she has had it for years, she trims it back every 6 months and get 50 to 100 frags she said. It looks almost exactly like one let it reef posted but hers look like that with white light and blues it has green tenatcles and bluish body. The only thing scares me is in the pic it appears to have a flat and not wavy cap. She says it depends on its mood! Could it be tthat having almost weeping willow legth tenatcles that the wavyness dosnt show as much? Now I want a devils hand or a short tentacl one, either green or pink! @jeffchapok love his, got any frags? Love the one that looks pink orange and white! How as that sold, Just as a sarcophyton or toadstool? The one unique is calling Japenese looks lik e that sort of but green cap but coarl colored tentacles.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone sell frags of their toadstool and ship to florida?

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pablo at marine farmers has some nice ones

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ARG! The offer pulsing sinularia, but none in stock.
My littlest one is begging me to get that. That and Looney Tunes, but that is way too much for my young tank.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my toadstool till I saw everyone elses
20200319_171309.jpg

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but where is everyone buying a weeping willow? I'm looking for one after just finding out about them.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see this thread take off!
Some of mine. I love leathers!
64AC67C9-4C39-424B-8445-4392079CCF7B.jpeg
E5D44B8C-CE2B-4B28-BFC1-6C53C62D38E5.jpeg
742DDD46-4843-4794-968D-8FF20BFFD1F9.jpeg
65D27B53-6531-44A2-80E3-43589450A868.jpeg
Beautiful. Love how wavy it is. I want a wavy long polyp. I saw one at petco that was small and wavy and it was so mall to have waves like it did. I almost bought it but didint really have long tentacles like I wanted. I dont get how some are flat capped and as they age they get wavy and yet that one was so young but wavt, actually looked more that wavy, almot like a devils hand. Was yours flat when it was young? Just wondering so I know what to buy. I see a really long polyp one on ebay and it flat, I hope it gets wavy as it ages though!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do toads all take this shape when big? Or is this a certain type? I want one like this in my tank but they never look this way when little
My same thouht! Ihave seen some at petco the other day that was wavy and looked like an adult but was very small! I want o buy a baby but want it to be wavy as it ages. The one at petco was actually all scalloped, each of the frags had a differet shape! There is someone on ebay selling all her fras look a like just flat top no waves,most all the frags look like that so you real dont know what it will look like as it ages!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine after about 5 months, nice growth so far....

20190927_205900.jpg
do weeping willows have short polys when young. Most of these seem to put they look to be weeping already but short. I think a lot of people that have long polps are trying to sell and pass the off as weepin willows. I heard that japenese are alqays green and weeping willows are always pink, so the whole idea of a Japenese weeping willow makes no sense. If the article I read was correct!

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there are clear pedigreed clones with soft corals like there are with sps. People more use the names as a general description. I first heard the term weeping willow applied to sarcophytons over 15 years ago, and now it seems to mean just a long tentacle toadstool with super long polyps. No reason why it couldn't be green.

I have one from Penny at aquacorals- on her site it certainly looks like the real deal. The one I got from her is beautiful, but not the super long polyps. I think it is probably something about my water conditions, or the fact that it isn't big yet

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey guys i was curious on howm uch a frag of green weeping willow would cost me? They are very nice looking

Back