Toadstools not opening, maybe dieing?

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was running ocean revive lights on my tank and they went out. I replaced them with ai hydra 26. My tank is a 75 gallon. I'm running cw @ 15%. Every since about 2 days after I changed the lights 3 of the 5 on one rock have not opened and have a shiny look to the top of them.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools will do that from time to tome. They just close up for a while, then they do a giant slough and open up fully. I've had them do it from a few days to a few weeks. Unless it starts melting, not something to worry about.

OP
OP
J

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've tried less light and moving current. I'm hoping it comes back around

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do need a fair amount of light, but not too much. They do go through molting periods. They can stay closed up for a month and the next thing you know they have grown a inch or better, then a week or two later they do it all over again.

OP
OP
J

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do need a fair amount of light, but not too much. They do go through molting periods. They can stay closed up for a month and the next thing you know they have grown a inch or better, then a week or two later they do it all over again.
Update. I added some carbon and they are all out and happy. They did go through a molting period. I added one more that was given to me last week and it hasn't opened yet but it's big. 4" wide on the cap.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I added some carbon and they are all out and happy. They did go through a molting period. I added one more that was given to me last week and it hasn't opened yet but it's big. 4" wide on the cap.
Awesome.... before you know it they will be huge, they grow fast if they are happy. One of mine even sprouted a baby.

OP
OP
J

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.... before you know it they will be huge, they grow fast if they are happy. One of mine even sprouted a baby.
Yea my friend had one almost 2 foot wide. His clowns hosted it. He just sold it. My lfs told me to get them around 4" I'm size and they will buy them from me or trade for other corals.i have one white 4 pinkish and one neon green.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back