Tomini with Ich?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this fish 26 days ago, and I have noticed these white spots over the last few days appear in this fish. Or at the very least I hadn't noticed them until now. It looks like ich,maybe?, but none of my other fish are showing any signs. Odd behaviour it does is swim forwards a bit and then backwards. Does this near, but not on rocks and in open water. Picture isn't super clear, but my Tomini is pretty shy and usually hides when I approach the tank.

Also, my marine betta had a small Lymphocystis breakout a while back but it cleared up. Could be that too? I'm only two months into keeping fish and haven't experienced any parasites or major diseases yet. And no, I did not QT this fish, as I do not have the room or equipment for a proper QT setup, but felt confident enough as my lfs QTs incoming fish for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

DSC_0358.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for our disease experts

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really see the image that clearly but it could be ich. Such a big problem with Tangs and angels, unfortunately. Maybe butterflies too. Sigh. I recall reading on WWM that among all the tangs, the Bristletooths are not a very disease resistant genus on average and Bob Fenner says the Tomini is on average the hardest among the Bristletooth tangs.

The Marine Betta on the other hand-Dang, just how tough are these things? Hearing about its toughness just makes me want one even more. Not to mention it’s such a beauty. I have read of these guys surviving Ich and velvet outbreaks, and even a guy who had one in a tank where an Anthias had uronema and the Betta was just barely affected.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back