Tom's Newbie Pico Build

tom09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to the forum, but not necessarily new to reef tanks. I've successfully kept a couple in the past, but due to school, and no stable source of income I had to take them down. However, I am more financially stable now, a new local fish store opened near me, and I've got the thumb to jump back in.

But, I am heading off to college within the next year(that's why this tank is <10 gallons). I know that new pico tanks can be a hassle, and very sensitive to change, but I believe I can handle it. I have not begun building just yet, I have some leftover supplies from previous tanks that I think can be of use(list below).

I do not have set in stone aspirations for this tank, and am open to change and criticisms. I have a wide variety of questions left, but a lot that have been answered and will be used as growth from my previous reefs.

Tank: JBJ 6 Gallon Rimless( 17.7 in. L, 10.2 in. H, 8.2 in. W)
Lights: ??? (Have Fluval Evo 13.5 stock lights/PAR 38 bulbs)-new suggestions?(whatever will work)
-Original Lights that came with tank were useless, and quit working within the first week.
Pump/Powerhead: No clue. Suggestions please
Heater: Fluval P-Series 25 Watt Heater
Skimmer: None. Will I need?
-Will run Live Rock/Sand from lfs, Chemi-Pure, Fritz RPM.

Stocking: ideas, but completely open to feedback
Fish- They fascinate me. I understand 6 gallons in tiny, and I am 100% okay with no fish stocking, but I love clowns ad clown gobies.
Coral- I have successfully kept zoas/polys, xenia, gsp, mushrooms, and nems( yes ik they are technically inverts). I have no complaints with softies, and I would keep them again in a heartbeat, but I would love to try some lps and maybe sps.
Inverts- Snails, Hermits, Shrimp(maybe nems/stars)

Questions:
-Based on dimensions what lights could I use? Can I make the fluvals work/ and cool bulb ideas?
-Pico pump ideas?
-Any new equipment I may need?
-Any tips on pico cycling?

I need to research more and more about this tank setup, and form more of a good idea of what I would like. But am too eager not to at least start my first thread. Will keep updated and hopefully show off some setup pics here soon.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a Barnacle blenny or Geometric Pigmy hawkfish

20230604_203550.gif

OP
OP
T

tom09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the tank:
I am about to go on vacation, but am continuing to research ideas for the tank.
-Is there any suggested websites for cheap, hardy, reliable corals?
-Any diy pico reef lighting suggestions?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back