Too good of a deal to pass up?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a little help in deciding on this one. My local shop has a 75gallon(standard demensions) acrylic tank in that they are willing to let go for 500$. I was planning on upgrading eventually but thought this may be a good stepping stone on the way to my dream tank another 4 or 5 years down the road. Ive currently got a 40breeder and a WB55.2 aquarium so acrylic will be a little new to me.

What do you think? Pull the trigger and grab the tank because its a good deal or pass and hold out for the eventual upgrade?
20220908_144250.jpg

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a pretty average price. Depending on who made it and condition, that may be a horrible deal.

There are many factors that determine how good it is:
Brand new or refurb
Thickness of acrylic
Brand of acrylic
Manufacturer of tank
Quality of all seams
Reef ready or not (the black part looks to actually not be an internal overflow, but hard to tell by picture)
Any scratches

Too good a deal to pass up? Not even remotely close.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know... for a 75G, I would probably just go with an off the shelf rimmed 75G tank and save several hundred dollars. In that picture, it looks like they have a marineland 75G ensemble right next to it. That whole ensemble goes for less than $500. Or you could probably just buy the rimmed tank for half that. $200 - $250 tank alone.

does that $500 include a stand too, or just for the 75G acrylic tank?

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a pretty average price. Depending on who made it and condition, that may be a horrible deal.

There are many factors that determine how good it is:
Brand new or refurb
Thickness of acrylic
Brand of acrylic
Manufacturer of tank
Quality of all seams
Reef ready or not (the black part looks to actually not be an internal overflow, but hard to tell by picture)
Any scratches

Too good a deal to pass up? Not even remotely close.
I can answer a few of these.
Brand new tank.
Acrilic looked to be about 3/8".
No brand for manufacture so who knows with the exact acrylic that was used.
The seams looked ok but I haven't done a through inspection.
not drilled yet, and i don't mind drilling it myself.
no scratches.
does that $500 include a stand too, or just for the 75G acrylic tank?
just the tank no stand.

This would end up as a peninsula if I do end up getting it. I pass on the regular tank glass. I can see a big difference between my 40breeder and my waterbox glass clarity and I know acrylic can be even better. My dream system would be a 5'x30"x20" built by glass cages but that will run me nearly 5k so still a little while off from going that big.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy it, a lot of work for only a "stepping stone" and for a small jump from 40 to 75.

Maybe warranty - if it has any - is hard to chase with a noname manufacturer as well.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems a bit pricey to me, but if it is what you want, go for it. Kinda like buying cars, everyone will have different opinions. At the end of the day, it is about what you want, not what the community approves of.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just able to confirm with the shop, no name stamped on the tank.
They should still know who the heck made it or where they got it from if it's a brand new tank?

It's not like they just found the thing laying in the back alley.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely recommend glass, clarity and scratching of acrylic is too big of an issue for me.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should still know who the heck made it or where they got it from if it's a brand new tank?

It's not like they just found the thing laying in the back alley.
Kinda exactly how it came about. Ive got a good relationship with the store owner, he had another customer trade or sell him the tank that had been in storage and never used.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems a bit pricey to me, but if it is what you want, go for it. Kinda like buying cars, everyone will have different opinions. At the end of the day, it is about what you want, not what the community approves of.
Yup I'm asking for those different opinions. Anything im not thinking of or anything else. Im not really familiar with acrylic tank pricing so this was seaming like a really good deal but apparently its not too far off what it would cost from one of the acrylic tank manufacturers.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy it, a lot of work for only a "stepping stone" and for a small jump from 40 to 75.

Maybe warranty - if it has any - is hard to chase with a noname manufacturer as well.

Although I believe that a 40 to 75 upgrade is significant and worth it I agree that I wouldn’t buy a no name acrylic tank that has been sitting in storage at some random dudes place.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony, give Bluethumb in Saginaw a call and see what they would charge for a similar 75G acrylic tank.
I'd at least do that and weigh what they say vs buying that one at your LFS.

EDITED:
bluethumb builds acrylic tanks in-house. they have built several of their display tanks and may have something similar available.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back