Too late to add another fire shrimp?

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is doing good!
I have an 18 gallon saltwater aquarium currently with 1 ocellaris, 1 fire shrimp, and 1 yellow coral banded shrimp. Ever since I got my fire shrimp he has been shy( I know this is normal for them) but seemed to get a bit more shy after I added the yellow banded. They never fight, and the fire runs around like crazy during feeding. I have heard some people say adding another will make them more active and some saying they will kill each other. Would adding another just be asking for trouble?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add it, then look to rehome it if they don't get along. I don't know what the trigger for them not getting along, but when they don't you'll see one chasing the other and the other obviously trying to get away a bit, but if they have some space in the tank it won't be constant, so you'll have time to catch and rehome it. If they get along, they will mostly stick together in the same hiding spot, I don't see my pair come out all that much more often, but they will come out in the evening, with the flow off, or at feeding time pretty reliably.

The CBS is a harder match to make, though - they get bigger and are more ornery. I don't know if I'd expect a single fire shrimp to get along with a CBS in the long term.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the space that is the issue, 3 shrimps in an 18 does not give them enough room, when they shed they will stressed as they will have no place to hide.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the space that is the issue, 3 shrimps in an 18 does not give them enough room, when they shed they will stressed as they will have no place to hide.
Agreed!

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I will just wait and not pick one up, I’m thinking of setting up another 75-90 gal tank soon so I mag rehome him. I wasn’t too worried about the coral banded because he is a yellow coral banded and stays smaller plus is less aggressive than the regular ones.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is doing good!
I have an 18 gallon saltwater aquarium currently with 1 ocellaris, 1 fire shrimp, and 1 yellow coral banded shrimp. Ever since I got my fire shrimp he has been shy( I know this is normal for them) but seemed to get a bit more shy after I added the yellow banded. They never fight, and the fire runs around like crazy during feeding. I have heard some people say adding another will make them more active and some saying they will kill each other. Would adding another just be asking for trouble?
tank too small for another fire. Fire's are hermaphrodites, but they won't always pair. If they do pair, they may team up to try and bully the coral banded.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the size id be worried about the coral banded. They are the most aggressive shrimp basically that can be bought. Ive seen them fend off juvenile triggers before. They take no crap from any fish or shrimp and have been known to prey on other inverts as they see fit. Although they are very pretty.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back