Too many pods..

Jrswish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an insane amount of pods everywhere in my tank, they’re crawling over some of my Zoas and irritating them, what can I do to lessen the population?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pod loving fish like a wrasse would be (and is) my choice.

Having said that, some info on your tank size and current stock would be helpful if you want good advice...

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pod newbie. Do you see the pods during the day?

I dumped a couple bottles of Tigr pods in my tank about a month ago and I never see them during the day. However at night, with a flashlight I see hundreds/thousands crawling around on the rocks/sand.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pod newbie. Do you see the pods during the day?

I dumped a couple bottles of Tigr pods in my tank about a month ago and I never see them during the day. However at night, with a flashlight I see hundreds/thousands crawling around on the rocks/sand.
This is what happens when someone just says pods. There is a BIG difference(size wise) between copepods and amphipods. I think the OP means amiphipods and yours are copepods. These same someones post pictures in blue light and ask "what is this on my-
--".

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that eats pods, do a bit of searching. if you've got a stable breeding pod colony and a decent sized tank this could be a time for a mandarin
Considering how OP’s pods are “crawling,” I believe they are amphipods which are too large for Mandarins to consume.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering how OP’s pods are “crawling,” I believe they are amphipods which are too large for Mandarins to consume.
i also recommend against buying a fish as a bandaid for a specific problem. get a fish because you want it and have adequately prepared a habitat for it. solve issues with careful research and slow, methodical changes.

every time i see a harlequin shrimp at the LFS i get sad lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an insane amount of pods everywhere in my tank, they’re crawling over some of my Zoas and irritating them, what can I do to lessen the population?

What size tank? I find certain gobies to be pretty great pod hunters for small tanks and wrasses (not fairy or flasher) for larger tanks.

Hasslet gobies hunt at night when the pods are most active and even have fins designed to round them up for the kill. They eat bristleworms too. A bit difficult to find though. Will fit almost any size tank but will almost never be seen in a large tank due to their nocturnal and cryptic nature. They do their job unseen.

Greenbanded gobies work great in a pico. Small but they have the appetite of a shark and will even take on large amphipods.

A yellow coris or melanarus wrasse for a bigger tank will search all the rocks during the day.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also recommend against buying a fish as a bandaid for a specific problem. get a fish because you want it and have adequately prepared a habitat for it. solve issues with careful research and slow, methodical changes.

every time i see a harlequin shrimp at the LFS i get sad lol
Never should get a fish just for pest control. If you get something that both deals with the problem and can be fed after, and care for i, i really don't have a problem (for an example, if you got a harly, you'd have to have a separate tank or something to breed their food en masse)

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some in my direction, i newer saw any in my tank..... ;)

Back