Too Many Snails, I Think!!

juujji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a clean up crew online. I ordered 20 dwarf ceriths, 8 Florida ceriths, 4 Lg Nerites, 5 small Nerites and 2 Nassarius and I had 4 hermits & 5 turbo snails in there already. I was told this would be good for the size of my tank which is 28 gallons. When the package arrived, I followed the directions and put them all in the tank, well, I'm here to tell you, there must be 100 dwarf Ceriths and the others are getting big. I mean the place I purchased them sent me much more than I ordered without charging me and I think it was a great gesture on their part, but being the dummy I was, I put them all in the tank so they wouldn't die and now, they're every where.

Do I really need that many snails? And if not, should I bring them to my LFS? It just looks like there are way too many snails in my tank.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Twaldo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother has a 28 biocube that's 6 month old and we order snails from the same place and they did exactly the same. Give us. A 100 !!! Don't worry they did for customer loyalty. Anyways we put them all and are not having any problems. :)

Alkamist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats pretty cool but i have heard that a bunch of dwarf Ceriths are good in that they keep your sand crazy white lol

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good at cleaning. My sand was beach sand color before the snails now it looks like its bleached. Theyre awesome besides the fact they crawl out of my tank and my dog eats them:squigglemouth:

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I got mine from John (reefcleaners.org) definitely sent me way more than I ordered, I put almost all of them in my 28g and it was ridiculous at first but they keep my glass, sand, and rock super clean.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he sends extra just in case some die off or dont make it..
dwarf ciriths
1333bd74.jpg

planixs (i forgot how to spell their name)
1925c9ac.jpg

i ended up getting rid of the turbo grazers because they were way too big, knockin things over left and right.. great algae eaters though
8019db10.jpg

abfe83e2.jpg

OP
OP
J

juujji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is your tank and what you have in it?
I have a JBJ 28gal Nanocube HQI with 25 # LR and LS. It's only been up since May 21st. I have the clean up crew, 4 hermits, a mushroom, a maze brain coral and a very small bunch of zoos. I have JBJ protein skimmer on it (made for that tank-not the best but it's working) - and 2 additional powerheads inside the tank. But from the rest of the replies, I don't think I have to worry about all the snails. This weekend I'll be getting my first fish for the tank (a clownfish).

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got a pack from John right before the 4th of July and
I got around 300 I estimate on a quick pick pack I bought... I was like wow!!!! I had the same thoughts so I just feed the tank heavily and all has been well my sand is super clean like mentioned above and there is eggs every where I can't imagine how many I will have in 6 months..:tongue:

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I didn't know they mate in captivity, maybe that's why John is giving so many away with every order. lol

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back