Too many sponges

scvc620

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 6 or 8 months these white "sponges" have just been multiplying. At one point I was told, all good, they are filter feeders, but golly I cannot believe how many there are now. Should I be concerned? Try to get rid of them. As you can tell by the pic, there are an awful lot of them. They really do take away from my corals.
sponges.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the last 6 or 8 months these white "sponges" have just been multiplying. At one point I was told, all good, they are filter feeders, but golly I cannot believe how many there are now. Should I be concerned? Try to get rid of them. As you can tell by the pic, there are an awful lot of them. They really do take away from my corals.
sponges.jpg
your tank looks great. If you have sponges - you're doing something right! IMHO

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, I just wonder if I should try to remove some of them.
I would not mess with success. My guess is that there is some kind of 'thing' that eats them. I certainly wouldn't scrub rocks or try to manually remove them

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of those a couple of years ago. Just keep manually removing them and they eventually go away

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have some of those, or something similar. Pull any out that start heading anywhere near your corals, they can crowd for space a bit. Once they get on a rock, it's hard to get them off, any cells left behind can regrow.

That said, they aren't technically harmful. They're just fast-growing. You can yank the bulk of them out if you don't like the look.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sponges.jpg
Wow! That is some crazy sponge growth! I would love to have some of that! You already mentioned when the sponges started appearing, but how long has your tank been running?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back of my tank and in the many caves are also filled with those "coral looking" sponges. I don't see them as a problem and are not photosynthetic so stay mostly in the dark where they will filter water. I would leave them alone

The rest of my tank is filled with really annoying encrusting photosynthetic sponges which are really annoying because they cover my corals and need constant trimming.

OP
OP
scvc620

scvc620

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input everyone. I just don't like the way they look, so will probably get a new blade and cut some of them out. Some are getting pretty long in places and it is kind of hard for the eye not to go straight to the "alien in the tank. LOL

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input everyone. I just don't like the way they look, so will probably get a new blade and cut some of them out. Some are getting pretty long in places and it is kind of hard for the eye not to go straight to the "alien in the tank. LOL
Chop away!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back