Too much ceramic media?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a box of marine pure ceramic balls in my sump. My last BRS purchase came with a free gift of a box of maxspect’s ceramic balls. I have space but is there any other downside of putting them in my sump? Can you have too much?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concern I have is ”white media” often contains aluminum which can release into the tank. I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not for tank inhabitants, I don’t know how much will leach, and I also don’t know if there’s a point when the aluminum stops leaching.

That being said, I recently added 5lbs of seachem matrix, which is another type of white media, to my tank. The potential for aluminum is a concern for me, but I’ve seen some great tanks with the same media.

I recently sent out an ICP test to see if the aluminum level is fine or not in my tank.

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concern I have is ”white media” often contains aluminum which can release into the tank. I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not for tank inhabitants, I don’t know how much will leach, and I also don’t know if there’s a point when the aluminum stops leaching.

That being said, I recently added 5lbs of seachem matrix, which is another type of white media, to my tank. The potential for aluminum is a concern for me, but I’ve seen some great tanks with the same media.

I recently sent out an ICP test to see if the aluminum level is fine or not in my tank.
What were the results of ICP?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@K9Fish

Aluminium 1,8 µg/l < 40 µg/l

Aluminum is low. (good)

IMG_7806.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back