Too much filter flow?

SIJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about making a comeback to reefing after 3/4 years off. Kids and work took priority over the tank. Im looking at starting a fluvial eve 13.5g that my 3 yr old and I can enjoy together. Would a sick syncra 1.5 bee too much flow through the back chambers? I am trying to get away with not adding a pump in the display tank as there such little viewing space to begin with so the return pump would be my only real flow like a closed loop system. Wondering if this tank could handle it or if I am better off with the sick 1.0. Second question is which sand bed do ppl use now? I have used oolite in the past with is very fine sand but am now seeing special grade too. Is there a real difference and should I try crushed coral instead?

mdrieder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a guy on another forum who runs the Sicce 1.5 and has no complaints. With that kind of flow the oolite may just get blown around. I'm not a fan of the special grade however and use the Fiji pink which is slightly bigger than the oolite, but if you don't mind how the special grade looks, I'd go with that.

Back