sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m replacing my Neptune wav’s with mp60. This makes my current set up:

2 mp60, one on each end.
2 reef wave 45, at 1/3 and 2/3 on the back wall.

Tank is 84in x 24in x 24in

I have 3 Neptune wav’s that are in perfect working order and the open power slots. So this doesn’t require additional money, just wondering if it’s a bad idea for the corals or inhabitants.

Mixed reef, tangs, gobies, clown fish. CUC of small snails and crabs, some peppermint shrimp.

Any advice on the flow or positioning of power heads with my setup is welcome.

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow-wise you just want to have it in a position where all your corals can have adequate flow but I think the most optimal thing is to just not have any dead spots where detritus can build up. You can try placing the wav's down seeing how the flow is and adjusting to your optimal flow. I think you'll be able to see if there is too much flow when your corals start closing up and the fish look like they are being pushed around, but given the size of your tank and the ability to adjust the flow, you'll probably be able to gauge whats optimal or not :cool:

I have my wavemaker on the opposite side and corner of the powerhead so that I can have a wider circulation and avoid any dead spaces, but my tank is much smaller than yours, so I think just observing how the new flow and wavemakers affect your stuff would be the best course of action. Though, there might be a better way that a seasoned reefer will tell you soon, good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back