Too much gph?

Cardiak21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is an 1100 gph powerhead and a 495 gph powerhead too much for a 72 bow gallon tank? I have the 1100 on the left side and the 495 on the right. The 1100 was given to me by a friend.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you keeping in the tank???? SpS would require more... I don't think you can ever have touch flow IMO....
Unless your blasting the flesh off corals... Lol

OP
OP
C

Cardiak21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha there's nothing in the tank but rock right now, but I was worried that it would be too much flow for some smaller fish!

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too much flow (though it would help to know what corals you're keeping) if it's the right flow. If you're just putting a couple of powerheads in the tank and effectively shooting jets of water across the tank, then you're not getting much benefit from all of that water flow because you're only moving a rather narrow portion of the water. You'll get much more out of the flow if you can modify the powerheads with propeller units that will move more water and produce a broad/more gentle output, resulting in better movement of the entire column of water. If the powerheads are MaxiJets, there are several modification kits that will get the job done.
Gary

OP
OP
C

Cardiak21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is a SEIO m1100 and the other is a Koralia 495. With regards to corals, at the most I was thinking of getting some simple mushrooms. I just don't want fish to struggle getting around is all. Here is a picture of the setup from a few days ago.
DSC04767.jpg

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one of my 55 I have 2,220 GPH through it!Your fine!And your mushrooms will be fine to!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back