Too much light for soft coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jayreef23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jayreef23

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2019
Messages
136
Reaction score
40
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a soft coral I just purchased today. I acclimated it to my tank and put him towards the top of the tank but he is still shriveled up and not expanding. Could it be too much light? Should I lower the light intensity or lower the coral to the sandbed?

IMG_4487.jpeg
 
Typically no but that looks like it could be a non photosynthetic coral in which case it will most likely die from lack of food as they don’t typically survive in our aquariums.

Is it yellow and red?

If it’s NPS, then it should go into a dark spot with good flow but ya… not good if so.
 
Typically no but that looks like it could be a non photosynthetic coral in which case it will most likely die from lack of food as they don’t typically survive in our aquariums.

Is it yellow and red?

If it’s NPS, then it should go into a dark spot with good flow but ya… not good if so.
It was sold to me as a soft coral I don’t think it’s NPS
 
Not sure about green but the photo and the way it is closed up makes me think of Scleronephthya, comes in a variety of colors but generally red/orange/yellow/pink.

I’m guessing if it’s green it’s not that though!

Soft corals are moody so it’s not so for it to be ticked off

It won’t hurt it to start it on the bottom and move it up over time
 
Last edited:
Not sure about green but the photo and the way it is closed up makes me think of Scleronephthya, comes in a variety of colors but generally red/orange/yellow/pink.

I’m guessing if it’s green it’s not that though!

Soft corals are moody so it’s not so for it to be ticked off

It won’t hurt it to start it on the bottom and move it up over time
Thanks…appreciate the advice
 
I have a soft coral I just purchased today. I acclimated it to my tank and put him towards the top of the tank but he is still shriveled up and not expanding. Could it be too much light? Should I lower the light intensity or lower the coral to the sandbed?

IMG_4487.jpeg
Apply light to moderate as with most soft corals. Most softies will close up at dark or very low light
 
Looks like an unhappy colt/Kenya tree/sinularia to me, soft corals are generally very flexible, though a bit moody at times, I had a leather that took a month to open up, I'd give it time
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new