Too much live rock in sump?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did some aquascaping and the rocks I had left over I just put in the sump in the fuge and around other areas.. in my fuge right now I have a bunch of live rock and it also holds my uv sterilizer

I was wondering if too much live rock was a thing.. other than detritus?? Also should I continue to just break the larger rocks into rubble rocks and add it wherever I can whether it is in my sump or other places?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much rock and how large of a sump?
I have an unknown amount of weight lol in my sump... it’s not like 50+ lbs prob 20? I guess I’m more worried about “detritus “ buildup more than anything else

I don’t have fish at the moment and also have a marine pure block and a lot of filtration.. I guess I just would rather put the live rock in my sump stacked Than take it and dry it just cause it’s a lot

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the sump? 20lbs really is not a lot and should be ok. Just make sure to vacuum the sump when you do a water change

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus could be an issue depending on how your sump is arranged. I went to an algae scrubber with mine so put a lot of rock on the sand in the refugium section for copepods to hang out in since I took out the Cheato, I haven't had any issues but its maybe 10 lbs in a 60 gallon sump.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the sump? 20lbs really is not a lot and should be ok. Just make sure to vacuum the sump when you do a water change
My sump is the marine depot trigger system sump.. it’s either 36 or 34 inches I think...

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do at the current time is just open the gate valve off my manifold ( I have a line from my manifold to my fuge to feed it...) I open it then clear out everything.. I don’t really expect anything bad to happen with my tank w the way it is currently .. just like trying to avoid problems if any...

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the fuge..

31366E88-3C37-49FE-8D65-37D3F2BD68B4.jpeg

is detritus even a problem if it never circulates?? Is it really bad that a lot of nutrients potentially build up?? Hoping to either add some type of crew to clean torocks/ sump and or just let it grow and leave it alone

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as too much live rock. The more you have the more stable the system. Weight is not as important as porosity when it comes to live rock.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth noting is Glennf's lack of live rock in his displays, & total absence of live rock in his sumps.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question comes down to when does detritus become an issue? Also what does it really effect?

Willie Phillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did some aquascaping and the rocks I had left over I just put in the sump in the fuge and around other areas.. in my fuge right now I have a bunch of live rock and it also holds my uv sterilizer

I was wondering if too much live rock was a thing.. other than detritus?? Also should I continue to just break the larger rocks into rubble rocks and add it wherever I can whether it is in my sump or other places?
I added a small wave maker in my sump it's a 40 gallon with about 25 pounds of live rock. Perfect flow

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back