Too much on my stocking list? Asking for trouble?

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my current 120g:

3 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Cinnamon Clown
3 Banggai Cardinals
1 Royal Gramma
1 Hippo Tang
1 Coral banded shrimp

I'd like to add:

1 Convict Tang
1 Red Firefish
1 Watchman or diamond goby
1 Fathead Anthias (or a group of smaller anthias?)
1 Coral Beauty
1 Emerald Crab

Too much? Suggested revisions? TIA.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
goby
Convict tang
Coral beauty
Emerald
Fire fish may do it

school if anthias pushing

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. The anthias were kind of my "icing" fish, anyway.

Will the coral banded shrimp and emerald crab be alright together? I'll pass on the crab if it's likely to be a problem.

Much appreciated!

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the tank footprint?

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 2'x2'x4' 120g.

Almost forgot - can I throw a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse on that pile? Maybe swap out the fire fish?
Cool, same footprint as my shallow 80. I very recently added a 2nd tang to my tank that already had a bristletooth, a baby biota yellow tang. It took 3 days for the baby yellow to make the tank his. I don’t anticipate problems, because I’ve got lots of swim-through caves for them to all find their own safe sleeping spot, but I’ll definitely be watching to make sure they don’t get too cramped and aggressive as they grow. The convict and hippo might be ok in there now, depending how big they each are, but you’d need to keep an eye on them. Take a look at my build thread if you want to see a recent video and the whole stock list.

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, same footprint as my shallow 80. I very recently added a 2nd tang to my tank that already had a bristletooth, a baby biota yellow tang. It took 3 days for the baby yellow to make the tank his. I don’t anticipate problems, because I’ve got lots of swim-through caves for them to all find their own safe sleeping spot, but I’ll definitely be watching to make sure they don’t get too cramped and aggressive as they grow. The convict and hippo might be ok in there now, depending how big they each are, but you’d need to keep an eye on them. Take a look at my build thread if you want to see a recent video and the whole stock list.
Thanks, I'll take a look. My hippo is just a wee guy at the moment - about the size of a dime when I got him, now maybe a ...ping pong ball? I figure it's better to add the convict while he's still small. My aquauscape has a lot of caves and hidey holes, but if their well-being helps justify a future tank upgrade (how big can you get on that footprint, anyway?), then you'll get no complaints from me!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a go for it all, except the anthias. I'm at about 16-18 fish currently in the same footprint. I have 5 larger fish that are 3.5" to 6" (two are right at 6"), the rest are under 3.5".

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my two cents, start with the fish that you want to add the most - as you will hopefully be QT'ing - and then sense for your self how the tank and the community is progressing.
And the least of my worries would be emerald crab - I. have 4-6 in my 180 - try to get females

and agree that the anthias may be over the top

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll take a look. My hippo is just a wee guy at the moment - about the size of a dime when I got him, now maybe a ...ping pong ball? I figure it's better to add the convict while he's still small. My aquauscape has a lot of caves and hidey holes, but if their well-being helps justify a future tank upgrade (how big can you get on that footprint, anyway?), then you'll get no complaints from me!
Just my opinion, but I feel your tank isn't that stocked.
My tank is 30x30x24 (95g)
2 x squareback anthias
4 x firefish
2 x baggai cardinal
scopas tang
copperband
diamond goby
checkerboard wrasse
tricolor sailfin wrasse
gold nugget wrasses
black cap basslet
clownfish

Aggression is limited to the anthias as the larger female chases the smaller female. There is some flaring between the scopas and larger anthias, only because they love the same cave. Black cap basslet is a model citizen. Wrasses don't bother each other. Firefish are always together. Baggai cardinal stay in one spot picking up food as it floats by. Diamond goby does his own thing. Copperband is constantly on the look out for amphipods.

For me... if you can manage the aggression. Your limiting factor is the size of the tank vs the size of the fish. Im not going to add a sohal tang to a 30 x30 tank. The other limiting factor is the capacity of your skimmer. I oversized my skimmer on purpose so I can stock my tank and overfeed them.

This is just my personal experience and just because it has worked for me, it might not work for you. You should obviously be very careful mixing different types of fish. Do your research.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 20 fish in my 125 gallon but my footprint is 6' x 18" x 18". Largest fish is my sole tang, a Sailfin who is about 9" nose to tail. She was a rescue and is missing a dorsal fin and has HLLE scar on her head but she is fat and happy now. I don't have any schooling fish and everyone has their own hidey holes. My strawberry psuedochromis chases my 6-line wrasse if he gets too close to her bed but other than that everyone is happy, healthy and, more than likely, overfed.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 20 fish in my 125 gallon but my footprint is 6' x 18" x 18". Largest fish is my sole tang, a Sailfin who is about 9" nose to tail. She was a rescue and is missing a dorsal fin and has HLLE scar on her head but she is fat and happy now. I don't have any schooling fish and everyone has their own hidey holes. My strawberry psuedochromis chases my 6-line wrasse if he gets too close to her bed but other than that everyone is happy, healthy and, more than likely, overfed.

You had me going until you said 6-line wrassed being chased. JK

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 125 G, 6'x18"x18" and have 14 fish.
7 schooling or fighting Green Chromis around 3" each
1 blue hyppo, about 6"
1 foxface about 8 or 9"
1 Eibli angel around 4"
1 sixline wrasse
2 oscellaris clowns
1 fat and old Humbug damsel 3.5"
I feel my tank is pretty full. I would love a butterfly fish though. Maybe if my damsel dies....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back