Too much or Good CUC?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

just bought a cuc from reefcleaners. I have been reading other people with Biocube 32s and they have far less cuc then I just ordered. I have some hair algae, constant diatoms (probably a phase), etc and I just wanted a good strong cleanup crew. I haven’t gotten fish yet but I plan to get 5 fish and a fire shrimp. I’m going to be an average fish feeder but I’m also going to feeding reef roids to corals. I’m nervous this will be too much cuc because I do clean the tank well myself. He’s what I got:
35 Dwarf Ceriths
16 Florida Ceriths
11 Nerites

If this is too much, I will probably sell some to my lfs.
Thanks.

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple Trochus, Astrea and 4 hermits and they are doing a pretty good job right now.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAY too much.. And too much for either a new tank in the ugly phase or established well fed reef (that's going to have even less algae to eat). A 30g should have like 10 snails total.... If you want them to live long term. You can put in 40 and this time next year be at 10 when the other 30 die. I'm not a big believer in clean up crews for keeping things clean. They should be in a reg ecosystem but the real cleaning comes from biological filtration, hitchhiker cleaners and fish.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAY too much.. And too much for either a new tank in the ugly phase or established well fed reef (that's going to have even less algae to eat). A 30g should have like 10 snails total.... If you want them to live long term. You can put in 40 and this time next year be at 10 when the other 30 die. I'm not a big believer in clean up crews for keeping things clean. They should be in a reg ecosystem but the real cleaning comes from biological filtration, hitchhiker cleaners and fish.
Ok, thanks. I just canceled my order.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What five fish are you planning on adding to the tank? I will say 5 in general is too much, but wanted to hear what you want to add.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What five fish are you planning on adding to the tank? I will say 5 in general is too much, but wanted to hear what you want to add.
Ocellaris clownfish and Mocha Clownfish

Royal gramma

Watchman Goby

Azure Damsel

If this is too much, I would eliminate the damsel
EDITED: I don’t know if this message will show twice but I forgot to do the reply feature

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to get a new cleanup crew from my LFS. I have one trochus snail. They only have small trochus, astrea, and Margarita snails. Which snails should I get from the following (exclude my current trochus)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 1 astrea per 2 gallons of tank size for algae comtrol.
So 16 for your tank would be perfect, imo.
Throw in 3-4 smaller turbos and your good to go.
3-4 trochus would be fine
I have about 7 in my frag tank.
My 120 is bare bottom.

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the the astrea snails. I have 5 of them in my biocube. They are machines on the rock work. Tiger conchs are great for the sand. These are by far the hardest workers in my tank.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to pick up some snails later today. Do you think it would be good to get:

3 Trochus
8 Astrea

I have one trochus already so this would make my clean up crew consist of 4 Trochus, 8 Astrea, a tailspot Blenny, watchman goby, and a fire shrimp. Does this lineup sound good or too much for my Biocube 32? I’m only adding the snails for now but in the next few weeks, all of the clean up crew above will be in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back