too much turnover?

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just calculated my turnover in my pico and it's 70x an hour... is that too much? just seems really high of a number... i'm only planning to keep zoas some lps and maybe some rics...

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is relatively turbulent flow, ie. not laminar, you should be alright.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not laminar? The answer should be as long as the flow isn't too violent meaning its not causing recession or tissue loss it should be fine. It has nothing to do with being turbulent or laminar.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not laminar? The answer should be as long as the flow isn't too violent meaning its not causing recession or tissue loss it should be fine. It has nothing to do with being turbulent or laminar.
Perhaps I used the wrong term but my understanding of laminar is a concentrated forceful jet of water in an aquarium. This is usually the type of flow that rips tissue away from skeleton. I would say throw in some hearty zoos and see what they do in there. You never know you may get really long skirts on the palys with that much flow.

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is hardly such a thing as too much flow IMO

There is certainly such a thing as too much VELOCITY in how you achieve and or use your flow

high flow with low velocity is the goal and 70x isnt too much if its low velocity

edit- I didnt know I was in the nano tank forum. Just was browing the homepage and saw this post :) doesnt change my response however

Last edited:

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I used the wrong term but my understanding of laminar is a concentrated forceful jet of water in an aquarium. This is usually the type of flow that rips tissue away from skeleton. I would say throw in some hearty zoos and see what they do in there. You never know you may get really long skirts on the palys with that much flow.

Laminar means flow in one direction. It has nothing to do with being a "concentrated forceful jet of water."

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true laminar flow is an impossibility in an aquarium. Flow in this type of environment will always be turbulant. The term laminar is usually reserved for flow through a tube. I really don't want to go down the physics pathway right now, so my answer is as long as your polyps arent staying closed cause they are being blasted you are good to go.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess in simple wording, :) you mean, that the gph can be as high as you want, as long as the flow isn't directly affecting the corals in the tank. It can be diverted by rock, or aimed at the glass, or in a back chamber, and be ok! Right?

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it helps. I've got what I think to be a lot of flow in my 75. 500 gph return and 2 maxi mods (4 total, but only 2 are on at a time) at 2100 gph each. so its like 63x turnover. I've been thinking about changing it so 2 of the maxi mods are on at all times and 2 alternate back and forth, which would bring it to about 90x turnover, but I don't quite feel the need for it yet. Maybe once the sps gets a little bigger.

hope that helps.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back