Tools for crushing vermatid snails

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me which tool they use to crush vermatid snail bodies? I’m seeing more everyday and snapping the tip doesn’t deter them. I have a pair of those long steel foreceps but it’s not strong enough. A direct link to the product would be helpful!

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get tired of fighting them they are not really as bad as people say. Good luck.
Agreed, I have quite a few and they're only currently bothering one milli, with all of my other lps and sps completely happy

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me which tool they use to crush vermatid snail bodies? I’m seeing more everyday and snapping the tip doesn’t deter them. I have a pair of those long steel foreceps but it’s not strong enough. A direct link to the product would be helpful!
Bumblebee snails

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails
Make sure to take out any other inverts first. You can also try a melanarus wrasse, but you may have to break the tips of the snail if you go with the melanarus

OP
OP
jx.reef

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’re starting to bug my zoa colonies so I need to do something. The strings they throw out are causing polyps to close.

My tank is only 20 gallons so a Melanarus will be a bit too large.

Really long bone crushers would work if a device like that exists. I’d like to keep my hand out of the tank if possible. Any experience with something like this?

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a long metal rod as a chisel, and tap on it with the end of a screw driver. Make sure to crush all the way to the base, and maybe even some rock just to be sure.
This of course is a bit difficult if those little bleepers were under an overhang, but so far I've been lucky.

If I really did get a lot of them underneath an overhang, I suppose I could bend the rod into an S shape and tap upwards?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back