Top off buffering etc question....

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking about ways to buffer my ro/di topoff water. What do you folks think about adding cal. reactor media or aragonite to my top off bucket? I currently am using a small amount of kalk to get the ph up to around 9, but I am manually topping off untill I get a doser set up.

I would think with a lower ph the ro/di water would absorb the minerals out of the media(etc) and help to add to the cal/alk levels as well as maybe raise the ph to around 8 or so.... What say you?;)

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph at 9 is a bit high. You should be aiming for 8.2-8.3

That would be the top off ph, not tank ph. When added to the tank it would be diluted and hopefully help keep the tank ph at 8+. Normal kalk ph is at least 12+ if I recall so 9 should be fine IMO.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is not low pH, its basically neutral and has little effect if any on the tank when added. It is almost impossible to accurately measure the pH of RO/DI since there are too few ions to measure. Since the pH isn't really low it will not readily dissolve aragonite or reactor media

TJM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dougers,
I have a five gallon vessel that I use for ATO. About every five days I fill the container back up with ro and then add a product by Natureef called reeformer concentrate. It is a liquid form of calcium hydroxide slurry with a strontium additive. I have thought about what you are pondering but the ro would not break down the substrate to make any difference. As always IMHO.
T.J.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back