Topoff with saltwater to raise salinity?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the third time this week I have gotten a laugh out of this.

Oh I know. My husband probably wonders what in the world I'm doing to make such an impression. He's highly amused.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just try mixing your water changes a bit strong. So make the wc up to be .27. So every wc you would be compensating for the saltwater loss from skimming or creep. I lose some SG every 6 months or so but not very often and that's all I do is mix a water change a little fat!

I think you've hit upon the most sensible solution. That will make it gradual and I'll just keep a close eye on topoff to make sure I'm not adding too much.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've hit upon the most sensible solution. That will make it gradual and I'll just keep a close eye on topoff to make sure I'm not adding too much.

I didn't even think about creep. I had some when I just had an airstone in the water while I was waiting for the skimmer.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well u can't really add 2 much top off. Full is full. But there's alot of reasons why your SG could go down slowly.

Starting with the simple fact you have a small tank. I give you credit here because us guys that have 150+ gallons of water don't notice things like you do with 12 gallons. A cup loss of water is a big deal in your tank.

Where always messing around in our tanks sticking arms and tools in there. All that is loss of water. Just the water on your arm is something.

You may be a habitual tester also. So every 10 ml test adds up over time. Yah I may never notice it with my 150g but you will.

You also may frag a bit or dip some corals. I do. And I never add salt back in my tank when I pull a cup out for dipping.

Seems like your not doing anything wrong to me but just losing some water. So make you water changes a bit more on the SG than what your water currently is. If it's 1.024 make the wc 1.025 and keep going up until your water sits where you want it.

Last edited:

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi GLB,

Very simple solution . I have the same tank . put a mark at your water level where the return pump chamber is . now when the water evaporates it should be lower then the mark you made . all you have to do is fill the RO and kalk mix to that mark and it should always be at the same SG . you can raise your SG with Salt water ,just you have to do it slow and not at one time . better over a week .

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi GLB,

Very simple solution . I have the same tank . put a mark at your water level where the return pump chamber is . now when the water evaporates it should be lower then the mark you made . all you have to do is fill the RO and kalk mix to that mark and it should always be at the same SG . you can raise your SG with Salt water ,just you have to do it slow and not at one time . better over a week .
Why would they do that over using her top off?? And she said she can't put the kalk in the top off because she would be over dosing, this would have the same effect. If it were me I would just use a large top off container and little kalk so you were only dosing a minimal amount

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could actually offer information with regard to the original question. Yes it's possible for you to raise salinity by topping off with saltwater. Here's a tool for you to use that will help.

In fact, IMO, this is the best way to raise salinity slowly enough to not be any concern to the creatures. :)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact, IMO, this is the best way to raise salinity slowly enough to not be any concern to the creatures. :)

Cool. It could be the combo of the skimmer water loss and my endless need to test. I'll just add some and keep a close eye on SG. Thanks everyone!

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would they do that over using her top off?? And she said she can't put the kalk in the top off because she would be over dosing, this would have the same effect. If it were me I would just use a large top off container and little kalk so you were only dosing a minimal amount

I use Kalkwasser in my ATO topoff I mix 10gals of it at a time and that's all I use in my containers. How can you overdose when it is only filling evaporated water ? I have been doing this now for 8 months and never overdosed . actually my tank s are doing much better now then a year ago . everything is stable .
OK, you are saying the same thing didn't read It through .

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. It could be the combo of the skimmer water loss and my endless need to test. I'll just add some and keep a close eye on SG. Thanks everyone!

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's working great. I mixed up a gallon of saltwater and I'm using it and RODI to topoff. My salinity started at 1.024 last week and is now 1.0245ish. I'm going to bring it up slowly to 1.026.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Randy I have a question. I've been adding SW as topoff every other time and SG is slowly going up. I noticed my Alk dipping a bit so I tested my SW topoff and the Alk had dropped to 3.8kh! I know this happens sometimes when SW sits around. How do I work around this? I added a little kalk to the SW topoff yesterday but I'm not sure that's the right way to go about it. Once my SG is up to 1.026 I can topoff with RO unless I see a dip.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make adjustments in my Sg by adding salt water. I find that 1g of double strength salt water in my 210 system makes a about a 0.001 increase in Sg. Skimming, testing and so on continually decrease salinity. My towel seems to always be wet and salt water is continually exiting my tank.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make adjustments in my Sg by adding salt water. I find that 1g of double strength salt water in my 210 system makes a about a 0.001 increase in Sg. Skimming, testing and so on continually decrease salinity. My towel seems to always be wet and salt water is continually exiting my tank.

Thanks. Same here. Skimmer water, testing and a little salt creep affect mine. And in a 12g nano those things can make a big difference!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, making double strength salt water is not generally a good plan as it leads to precipitation of calcium carbonate since both alkalinity and calcium are double the normal values.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals salt and store the SW in a plastic gallon carton the water came in. The SG of the new water is 1.026.

It seems unusual that the alk would drop that much. There will be some precipitation of calcium carbonate, but not usually that much.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, making double strength salt water is not generally a good plan as it leads to precipitation of calcium carbonate since both alkalinity and calcium are double the normal values.
Does this hold true once the 1g of concentrate is added to the 210g system? Doesn't a ratio of 1:210 make the precipitation risk negligible at best? Or, perhaps the precipitation concern is for the one gallon solution only, and timing is the key factor?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back