Torch Both Growing and Dying?

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys help please,

I have a torch coral that until about 2 days ago was doing awesome. It has been in my tank for 3ish months, in the same spot. It started with 1.5 heads and until about 2 days ago was at about 2.5 heads and working on 3 more. Then seemingly over night the biggest head just melted. The flow in the area tends to bend of the tentacles on that head the most. The other head is still super healthy looking (see picture attached). I am trying to decide what to do. Here are my Water parameters:

Temp: 79 F
Salinity: 1.025 SG
Nitrate: 15 ppm
phosphate: .08 ppm
(Nitrate and phosphate have been high for a few weeks, getting them back down with water changes after realizing the amount of Nori I was feeding my tang is killing those numbers)
Calc 420 ppm
Alk 7.6 dKH
Mag 1400 ppm
pH: 8.16

I am running 2 Red Sea LED 90s at 100%. They ramped up from 40% over 90 days and have been at 100% for about a couple weeks. The torch is pretty low in the tank (Reefer 250) and off to the side so I don't think it is getting blasted with too much light. The duncan and frogspawn in the tank are doing great. I lost a hammer recently to what I think was stinging from the frogspawn followed by a subsequent infection (best guess it died quick)

No Brown Jelly observed.
Tryiing to decide to dip it or leave it, trim off the dead head or just try and ride it out and leave what is healthy be.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Phos

PXL_20210217_145308402.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try moving it to a different location/flow, or could something be bothering it ?

Your water parameters look ok although if your doing a lot of water changes your parameters could be changing.

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try moving it to a different location/flow, or could something be bothering it ?

Your water parameters look ok although if your doing a lot of water changes your parameters could be changing.
Thanks. I have been watching it like a hawk and the other head(s) are doing awesome. I was leaning toward just rotating it or shifting slightly if I saw a problem, so thanks for weighing in, that supports that idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back