Torch color change under different lighting settings

Acon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I run Ecotech Radions XR15 G4 pro lights on my mixed reef tank with fish (Reefer XL525). I brought home an ultra gold indo torch. Intense colors in-store under blue lights. I can get close to the same colors at home, but when my light schedule ramps down (or up) and is only running in the blue spectrum. Because I want to see my fish in better light, my daytime light adds 15% warm white and 15% cool white to the blues. Under this daytime spectrum I lose the gold/rust color in the stalks of the tentacles. I can get great coral colors, especially in this torch, in all blue light, but the fish look dull/dark.

My question is this, will the daytime spectrum stress the torch? My PAR is not high at all, probably around 75-125 down in the lower third of the tank where the torch resides. I've heard of people bleaching their euphyllia, but not sure if that is due to too high of PAR settings or at acceptable PAR settings but with in incorrect light spectrum.

Thanks for any advice/info

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 50 percent coral plus (white) and 50 percent blue plus T5s with a blue led bar and my gold indo torch loves it. It is very white in the day but in evenings I have just the blues for the intense pop.

I can’t tell you the par as I never measured but have acropora growing nearby and my tank is only 16 inches deep so I assume the par is certainly not low.

No whites on here but it grew from one head.
99BADA1A-803D-481A-9A36-76714DEE447B.jpeg
C1329A5F-518E-44B7-9D9A-7E4BDB8DD909.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,

I run Ecotech Radions XR15 G4 pro lights on my mixed reef tank with fish (Reefer XL525). I brought home an ultra gold indo torch. Intense colors in-store under blue lights. I can get close to the same colors at home, but when my light schedule ramps down (or up) and is only running in the blue spectrum. Because I want to see my fish in better light, my daytime light adds 15% warm white and 15% cool white to the blues. Under this daytime spectrum I lose the gold/rust color in the stalks of the tentacles. I can get great coral colors, especially in this torch, in all blue light, but the fish look dull/dark.

My question is this, will the daytime spectrum stress the torch? My PAR is not high at all, probably around 75-125 down in the lower third of the tank where the torch resides. I've heard of people bleaching their euphyllia, but not sure if that is due to too high of PAR settings or at acceptable PAR settings but with in incorrect light spectrum.

Thanks for any advice/info
The short answer is no daylight or white light won't hurt or stress your torch:)

The unfortunate truth is most torches are dull under whites. This is why all sale threads sell blue pics.

I like the mix of white and blue to give a more natural look BUT the all blue shots are seriously beautiful and pull those golds and yellows.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrates play a big part in the color of corlal/torches as well. Extended high nitrates with high par can bleach like you were talking about.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back