Torch coral base issue

cygnetrk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had amazing experience with torch corals. However, this has us stymied.

This torch was sadly dropped by my butter fingers as we were placing it. I thought it would die right away. To our surprise, not only did it not die but it split into 3 heads within just a few weeks and while it rarely closes at night like the others, it has managed to apparently thrive for months now.

Recently, we have began to notice the base is looking almost clawed, revealing a crystal like center. The images show the area I'm referring to in yellow. (There is another image without the drawing to see the issue better.) The base used to be dark like you see to the left of the red box. Is this the plug base deteriorating? The head of the coral appears healthy and it has not extended down the plug yet, like our first one has, so I'm thinking the plug is just bad more than the coral having an issue but we're too new to be certain.

Parameters are normal and within range, tested by professionals and we purchase their water. Though we are always low on magnesium and I have it tested 1 day after each 3 gal water change every 7-10 days. It's only a 15 gal tank and proving to be much more difficult than a large tank.

Any suggestions or are we correct about it being the plug? We put another torch in after this one (total of 3) and one head died as soon as it was placed. Now it's taking down the healthy head.

We ordered some Red Sea Coral Pro Salt following some research. Any hope of that helping either issue? Or any other suggestions?

20231127_183022(1).jpg 20231127_183022.jpg

Last edited:

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely the coral skeleton, and it doesn’t look like the tissue has receded at all. Any crabs or inverts in the tank? Looks like something is scraping or burrowing away at it

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to have a healthy flesh band and is not near death. I try to keep my magnesium at 1400 or above, torches seem to thrive at that level. You didn’t list your magnesium levels but if it is real low it could be at least part of the problem.

OP
OP
cygnetrk

cygnetrk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about any urchins I’ve seen some mow down on a skeleton.
We do have one urchin. I've never seen him on it, but that's definitely a possibility
Thank you!
I wonder why it hasn't bothered the other one? (If that's the culprit, which would make sense. With the timing.)
Is it safe to wrap something around the base so it can heal and protect it from more damage?

OP
OP
cygnetrk

cygnetrk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely the coral skeleton, and it doesn’t look like the tissue has receded at all. Any crabs or inverts in the tank? Looks like something is scraping or burrowing away at it
That was our thought too. We do have a few small hermit crabs but they've only feasted on something not so healthy. But I agree, the scraping is the look. Thank you also for confirming its not the plug.

OP
OP
cygnetrk

cygnetrk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to have a healthy flesh band and is not near death. I try to keep my magnesium at 1400 or above, torches seem to thrive at that level. You didn’t list your magnesium levels but if it is real low it could be at least part of the problem.
Even though we buy the water, it usually tests around 1000. The store uses the same water and theirs remain high, but they have much larger tanks too, lol.

OP
OP
cygnetrk

cygnetrk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do have one urchin. I've never seen him on it, but that's definitely a possibility
Thank you!
I wonder why it hasn't bothered the other one? (If that's the culprit, which would make sense. With the timing.)
Is it safe to wrap something around the base so it can heal and protect it from more damage?
I have some cable mesh for the wires vibrating and I wonder if it would be safe to cut a small piece and wrap it around the base?

Attachments

• 20231128_092727.jpg
    20231128_092727.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 19

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Is it a long spine?

OP
OP
cygnetrk

cygnetrk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's a Tuxedo. I've already talked to the LFS and they're willing to take him back which is terrific! Though I will miss his funny antics.

Can I hope the torch will repair itself? Or should I put the mesh I mentioned above around it? Can't get the urchin out until the weekend as it's too long of a drive during the week.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though we buy the water, it usually tests around 1000. The store uses the same water and theirs remain high, but they have much larger tanks too, lol.
That is way low, normal is 1350 and as I said torches seem to thrive above that. My guess is the lfs is dosing it. That is definitely a problem. You need to get a ro/di system and make your own saltwater. This gives you control of what is going in your tank. I use Fritz RPM, on the box it says it mixes to 1350. I mixed up a batch and it tested 1350. I dose to get t up to 1400 or a little higher.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back