Torch coral dying

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got a torch coral a couple of weeks ago and it was doing great at first but than it started to do worse and worse, when I looked at the tank this morning it looked shriveled and had mucus coming out! All my other Euphyllia are doing fine. Any idea what's happening? Thanks

Params are

Calcium- 470
Alkalinity- 10
Magnesium- 1380
Salinity-1.023
Temp- 79
Nitrates-5
Nitrite- Almost 0
Ph-8.0
1581692737862.jpeg

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its got Brown jellys, happens for various reasons. I see it happen most often when parameters are out or have swinged a little. You can try iodine dips but doubt you will be able to save that unfortunately

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but it’s Not looking so good. Looks like brown jelly. If it is brown jelly, You may want to remove it before it infects anything else.

have you done anything drastic to your tank recently?

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its got Brown jellys, happens for various reasons. I see it happen most often when parameters are out or have swinged a little. You can try iodine dips but doubt you will be able to save that unfortunately

I have lougals solution that says iodide dip would that work? Sucks that it might die

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but it’s Not looking so good. Looks like brown jelly. If it is brown jelly, You may want to remove it before it infects anything else.

have you done anything drastic to your tank recently?
I added Chaeto to the tank and redid the aquascape so that could be it?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lougals solution that says iodide dip would that work? Sucks that it might die
yes thats the stuff, put enough in that it looks like brown tea.
I added Chaeto to the tank and redid the aquascape so that could be it?
Did you happen to bump it or damage it during this process? Did you place it higher in the tank causing light shock?

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thats the stuff, put enough in that it looks like brown tea.

Did you happen to bump it or damage it during this process? Did you place it higher in the tank causing light shock?

Ok Ill try the dip I didn't bump it when I was re-aquascaping the tank, it was on a lower part of the rock work but it stayed there for the most part after I was done

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the coral in the dip, like this or more iodide?

1581693783690.jpeg

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when you rearrange rock work, you kick up a lot of trapped detritus and gassed underneath the sand / rocks. You may have had a large nutrient swing which could have triggered your situation. I know it’s not exactly what you wanted to hear but I hope it pulls through. It maybe too late to save that. Best of luck

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when you rearrange rock work, you kick up a lot of trapped detritus and gassed underneath the sand / rocks. You may have had a large nutrient swing which could have triggered your situation. I know it’s not exactly what you wanted to hear but I hope it pulls through. It maybe too late to save that. Best of luck

That sucks, thank goodness all my other corals were fine. I have this one in the dip right now

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question how long should I dip for?

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the bottle recommends 10 minutes.

When I battled bjd I also did peroxide dips. Make sure you dilute enough with tank water

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bottle recommends 10 minutes.

When I battled bjd I also did peroxide dips. Make sure you dilute enough with tank water

I did 15 minutes and put him back in, he does not look good but a lot of brown jelly came off in the dip

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. You may have to just get rid of it before it infects anything else. Just monitor it and post some pics a few days or a week later. If you pull the coral out and give it a smell it should not smell like death . Lol good luck man

Zoaologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that has that much brown jelly on it I wouldn’t want to keep it in my display and risk it infecting all my other corals. If you don’t have a separate tank to keep the infected coral I’d just trash it. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Brown jelly sucks and it spreads quick. When you take the coral out also try your best to not let the jelly come off the coral and float around the tank this will spread it pretty quickly to your other corals.

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an early update but the coral is a fighter I came in to check on him and one of his heads opened slightly! The brown jelly also has almost gone away too, its not what it was before but its better than nothing. Thanks for your help and hope it gets even better. Will post updates later this week or next week Thanks

1581707995550.jpeg

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an early update but the coral is a fighter I came in to check on him and one of his heads opened slightly! The brown jelly also has almost gone away too, its not what it was before but its better than nothing. Thanks for your help and hope it gets even better. Will post updates later this week or next week Thanks

1581707995550.jpeg
Really glad to see its in recovery. Torches are my favorite coral

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back