Torch Coral dying

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Last week bought a few new corals among them, the blended torch in the attached pictures. Let it acclimate for a few days then stuck him alongside my other euphyllia corals. All my other euphyllia seem to be doing well, and my parameters seem to be holding. My Apex has shown my parameters pretty constant...the only thing I can think of is the flow hitting the torch too hard...as you can see the flesh/polyps are coming off on the bottom =(. I have 2 maxpect 330 gyres running at 50% on opposite ends of my 60 gallon cube except for 30 minute feedings when they both go off. I have lowered the intensity to 20% to see if this helps... thoughts?

Water parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrates: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.2
Temp: 77.5
Alk: 7.5
Calcium: 495
Phosphates: .05

20200930_151719.jpg 20200930_151717.jpg 20200930_150358.jpg 20200930_151719.jpg 20200930_151717.jpg 20200930_150358.jpg

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your other euphyllia are doing okay, your water param's look okay, I would guess it's probably related to lighting, and maybe flow as you suggest. If I leave my new corals on the bottom of the tank for about 2 weeks, then move them up slowly, that seems to work okay. Whenever I rush it, not so much. It may bounce back if you were to leave it where it's at, as it doesn't seem to be too high up in your tank.

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your other euphyllia are doing okay, your water param's look okay, I would guess it's probably related to lighting, and maybe flow as you suggest. If I leave my new corals on the bottom of the tank for about 2 weeks, then move them up slowly, that seems to work okay. Whenever I rush it, not so much. It may bounce back if you were to leave it where it's at, as it doesn't seem to be too high up in your tank.
Thanks for the quick reply! The reason why I stuck it to my euphyllia garden so quick was because the placement is so close to the bottom. It is very near the height of where i first placed it in my frag rack...so I didnt think it would be a big deal. Both my hammers and frogspawn seem to be doing just fine. Lighting I do not think is a problem, do you suggest me leaving the flow at 20% for my gyres for the week, then ramping up 5 percent a week till I get back to 50%? Not sure how much this would hurt if not negatively affect my sps...

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely looks like polyp bailout. Typically we see it happen with alk, temp or nitrate swings. So let's say the tank the torch came from was at a much different alk, temp or nitrate level and then it went in to your tank it could cause it stress and for the polyps to bailout. Also we see it when nitrates are at 0. Torches likes some nitrates for sure. It will help with their over all health and coloration. Getting the nitrates up to around 5 to 10 will greatly improve your colors. It looks like your current torches are a little pale. If you raise up the nutrients those colors should start popping for you!

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like polyp bailout. Typically we see it happen with alk, temp or nitrate swings. So let's say the tank the torch came from was at a much different alk, temp or nitrate level and then it went in to your tank it could cause it stress and for the polyps to bailout. Also we see it when nitrates are at 0. Torches likes some nitrates for sure. It will help with their over all health and coloration. Getting the nitrates up to around 5 to 10 will greatly improve your colors. It looks like your current torches are a little pale. If you raise up the nutrients those colors should start popping for you!
Thanks for the tip! I can start feeding more to start bringing it up and help the colors. Do you think if I can bring my nitrates up it will recover? Should leave the flesh thats coming off alone? I dont want it to get into the gyre and then have it be ripped to shreds...

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the tip! I can start feeding more to start bringing it up and help the colors. Do you think if I can bring my nitrates up it will recover? Should leave the flesh thats coming off alone? I dont want it to get into the gyre and then have it be ripped to shreds...

Honestly we have only seen one or two recover from that over the years. The only thing you have to be really careful with is at times after polyp bailout comes brown jelly. If that starts to happen you need to get the torch out immediately. If it ends up getting on your other torches it can wipe out your entire torch collection.

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly we have only seen one or two recover from that over the years. The only thing you have to be really careful with is at times after polyp bailout comes brown jelly. If that starts to happen you need to get the torch out immediately. If it ends up getting on your other torches it can wipe out your entire torch collection.
Oh man...not what I wanted to hear but I will be on the lookout. Should I pre-treat with an antibiotic to avoid? Thanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Last week bought a few new corals among them, the blended torch in the attached pictures. Let it acclimate for a few days then stuck him alongside my other euphyllia corals. All my other euphyllia seem to be doing well, and my parameters seem to be holding. My Apex has shown my parameters pretty constant...the only thing I can think of is the flow hitting the torch too hard...as you can see the flesh/polyps are coming off on the bottom =(. I have 2 maxpect 330 gyres running at 50% on opposite ends of my 60 gallon cube except for 30 minute feedings when they both go off. I have lowered the intensity to 20% to see if this helps... thoughts?

Water parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrates: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.2
Temp: 77.5
Alk: 7.5
Calcium: 495
Phosphates: .05

20200930_151719.jpg 20200930_151717.jpg 20200930_150358.jpg 20200930_151719.jpg 20200930_151717.jpg 20200930_150358.jpg
I'd try moving away from other euphillia. Can you assume they'll all get along? I would until this happens. I had polyp bailout on an acro placed too close to xenia.

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I took out the first head that was affected...but it in my quarantine tank. It looks like it's a goner. The other 2 heads seemed fine...then a day later one of the other heads seemed to be afflicted by it. I took that head out and theres one remaining. Should I leave it in there in Hope's that it will be ok or should I jis tg take it out so that it doesnt infect anything else. I am afraid it will go after my other euphyllia and other lps...

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I took out the first head that was affected...but it in my quarantine tank. It looks like it's a goner. The other 2 heads seemed fine...then a day later one of the other heads seemed to be afflicted by it. I took that head out and theres one remaining. Should I leave it in there in Hope's that it will be ok or should I jis tg take it out so that it doesnt infect anything else. I am afraid it will go after my other euphyllia and other lps...
Update: I added some rally pro and the last head seemed to bounce back. A couple of weeks later the last head is alive and well! Unfortunately the other 2 heads succumbed to the brown jelly. None of the other euphyllia seem to be affected.

20201015_111929.jpg

Back