Torch coral head popped off!

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably going to be bad news but I can’t help but ask ...

I have (had) a very small torch frag. In my tank for about 2 months, doubled in size, age well, colored up well.

Tank parameters near perfect. 14g biocube - stocked with mixed sps, lps, zoas n shrooms. Everything throving, growing - looking awesome overall.

Three days ago, I moved it only slightly - as it it and it’s neighboring hammer were growing too near one another.

This morning - skeleton is bare and head is floating around my tank!!! All puffed and full like business as usual!! I’m doubting that anything can be done, but I have to ask - it has now landed dangerously close to a softball sized micromussa Lord.

Any help would be so very appreciated! Even if it’s just to let me know that he’s a lost cause. It’s just a beautiful coral - deep plum with the most vibrant neon green tips

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can glue it down with super glue. Also, if it looks like there is ANY flesh on the skeleton, DO NOT throw it away. It absolutely CAN come back.

This frogspawn frag had polyp bailout after peppermint shrimp kept picking on it. A year later and minus several peppermint shrimp:
IMG_20171020_195706.jpg

OP
OP
jlagee

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can glue it down with super glue. Also, if it looks like there is ANY flesh on the skeleton, DO NOT throw it away. It absolutely CAN come back.

This frogspawn frag had polyp bailout after peppermint shrimp kept picking on it. A year later and minus several peppermint shrimp:
IMG_20171020_195706.jpg
Really?!!!! Did you glue the flesh back on the skeleton or directly to a plug??

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?!!!! Did you glue the flesh back on the skeleton or directly to a plug??
There were bits of flesh on the skeleton that looked different from the rest. I just crammed the skeleton in a hole in the live rock and left it alone. Patience and stability will bring it back :)

OP
OP
jlagee

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were bits of flesh on the skeleton that looked different from the rest. I just crammed the skeleton in a hole in the live rock and left it alone. Patience and stability will bring it back :)
Thank you! There is nothing left on the skeleton it just popped completely off! I’m going to attempt to glue it this evening! Praying! Lol - although the person I got it from put me in touch with the person she got it from initially! So either way I’ll have some .... it’s just the matter of whether I’ll have to drive and hour and a half one way and pay for a new one!!

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! There is nothing left on the skeleton it just popped completely off! I’m going to attempt to glue it this evening! Praying! Lol - although the person I got it from put me in touch with the person she got it from initially! So either way I’ll have some .... it’s just the matter of whether I’ll have to drive and hour and a half one way and pay for a new one!!
Just don't be hasty. The flesh on the skeleton is very thin and doesn't look like the polyp. It looks more like a polyp that has been stretched over the skeleton.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back